Suggestions for kids bike lock?

setspeed

Retro Guru
I have an 8yr old nephew who has just got his first 'proper' bike (Hoy Bonaly).
Looking for suggestions on a bike lock he can use to protect it.
There's not enough space in the frame for any U-lock that I've seen, and it needs to be something that can attach to the frame somehow, so he doesn't have to carry it.
His mum was about to buy a crappy cable lock, and I told her 'Absolutely not'. I want to get him something that provides some level of security, but being realistic the bike was only just over a hundred quid, second hand, so it doesn't warrant a super expensive lock. Also, they live in a seaside town with generally low levels of crime, so it's not like there are gangs of bike thieves marauding around with electric angle grinders.
Anyone got any suggestions? Maybe a really short but pretty heavy duty chain lock - is there such a thing as a 50cm chain with integrated lock (not a separate padlock)?
It needs to be easy for him to mount/attach/detach from the bike, easy to use, doesn't need to lock through the wheels, just protect the frame.

1000026321.jpg

You fit a u-lock on the bracket parallel to the frame rather than within it.
Decent lock companies like abus and kryptonite brackets accommodate this method - essential on small and open frames.
Cheap ones don't.

Any proper bike shop should be able to show you - I'd probably mount the lock on the seat tube with the d forward - there's always room between the frame tube and pedal, although we often think there won't be.

Last edited:
abus bordo folding locking. mounted under the seat.
hip lock, mini D lock

neither will stop a determined thieve but both are a good deterrent.

I carry a Albus motorcycle style lock. It simply hangs down from the handle bars. A strip of tape on the fork stops the lock banging on it. You don't need to fit locks to a frame.

Probably worth understanding that the use case is there. Locked outside all of the time overnight? Needs a good lock. Occasionally left outside a shop for 5 mins? Needs a crappy lock or perhaps no lock. Most thefts are opportunistic and locks keep good people honest. No lock is stopping a determined thief.

Realistically, how often is he going to be unaccompanied by an adult? Perhaps they should just take responsibility for carrying a lock. If out on his own with his mates, for sure he is going to lose any key, forget to lock it up etc. Maybe a combination lock would be better than one with a key?

Kids around here (also a seaside town), are always leaving their unlocked bikes outside houses, shops etc. Most of the bike thieving tends to happen within the university student population, with the odd local would be bike thief kingpin. Neither of those groups are interested in kids bikes. Maybe it's worth taking the risk? Think of the time and effort instilling locking up instructions, worrying about whether he's following them, time wasted on his part locking it up. Maybe it's not worth it? Maybe it's worth letting keep another year or two of innocence and freedom...

Although equally, there is a potentially valuable teaching moment about securing one's possessions.

Last edited:
The lock is likely to be a deterrent rather than for prevention - so I'd look for something with a combination so there's no key to inevitably lose.

Not sure what aspiring thief would be looking for a kids bike (takes all sorts) but if they are tooled up it wont really matter.

Kryptonite combination cable? Wrapped around the seatpost old skool style, or but a saddlebag and stuff it in there.

If you've got a nice bike, it's worth getting used to locking it before you step away.
Better to learn this early rather than after your beloved bike is nicked.

When I ask customers how their bike was locked after a theft, half the time there's an embarrassed silence.
The industry estimates 60% of stolen bikes aren't locked.
(Of course many of these are in a shed or garage, or secure parking)

My kids have a crappy BMX they take to the shops or lock up at school etc
and for days out, ride with mates or out on the trails, they have there proper bike.
Some kids get there locked bikes at school trashed, wheels stamped sideways through
arseholes kicking and stamping them. My partners work commute bike is covered in gaffa tape and
sprayed in shit colours to look less appealing.
Best lock you can get and as less time unattended as possible,
locked for whole days unattended are risky regardless of lock, even busy places with
cameras is of no help these days in deterring theives.

You fit a u-lock on the bracket parallel to the frame rather than within it.
Decent lock companies like abus and kryptonite brackets accommodate this method - essential on small and open frames.
Cheap ones don't.

Any proper bike shop should be able to show you - I'd probably mount the lock on the seat tube with the d forward - there's always room between the frame tube and pedal, although we often think there won't be.
Exactly what I was thinking and what I've done on my town bike

I carry a Albus motorcycle style lock. It simply hangs down from the handle bars. A strip of tape on the fork stops the lock banging on it. You don't need to fit locks to a frame.

Probably worth understanding that the use case is there. Locked outside all of the time overnight? Needs a good lock. Occasionally left outside a shop for 5 mins? Needs a crappy lock or perhaps no lock. Most thefts are opportunistic and locks keep good people honest. No lock is stopping a determined thief.

Realistically, how often is he going to be unaccompanied by an adult? Perhaps they should just take responsibility for carrying a lock. If out on his own with his mates, for sure he is going to lose any key, forget to lock it up etc. Maybe a combination lock would be better than one with a key?

Kids around here (also a seaside town), are always leaving their unlocked bikes outside houses, shops etc. Most of the bike thieving tends to happen within the university student population, with the odd local would be bike thief kingpin. Neither of those groups are interested in kids bikes. Maybe it's worth taking the risk? Think of the time and effort instilling locking up instructions, worrying about whether he's following them, time wasted on his part locking it up. Maybe it's not worth it? Maybe it's worth letting keep another year or two of innocence and freedom...

Although equally, there is a potentially valuable teaching moment about securing one's possessions.
No lock for even 5 minutes is misery waiting to happen. More so if the lad loves the bike

Back