20" Kona Explosif for sale

philth

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Kona1.jpg

Kona Explosif
This very good condition, rare Kona Explosif from 2001 - the first year it was built using Easton Scandium tubes. It is a super stiff, ultra fast and light race hardtail with all the handling characterisitcs you would expect from a high end Kona. It was custom built using very good quality components and has never been raced. It has been used, but is in very good condition with all gearing in full working order and with very little wear. Full spec as follows:

The Frame:
Material: Easton Sc7000 Scandium main tubes/Ultralite rear stays
Colour: White main tubes/Black rear stays
Size: 20"

Componentry:
Forks: Pace RC36 ProClass2
Headset: RaceFace
Gears: Full Shimano Mega9 Deore XT with V-brakes
Pedals: Shimano SPD
Cables: Gore
Bars: Easton carbon CT2
Bar ends: X-LITE
Seatpost: Easton carbon CT2
Saddle: Selle Italia - Flite Titanium Gel
Stem: Syntace Megaforce 254
Wheels: Mavic Cross Ride
Tyres: Panaracer FireXC Pro 1.8 (new)

This really is a fantastic bike which I am reluctant to sell. There are one or two scratches on the frame but nothing alarming and it has been very well looked after over the years with less use than it deserves, hence the good condition. The retail price for the standard bike at the time was £2100. This custom build would have set you back several hundred more than that. It needs a good home!

Buy it now on eBay is set at £750 which is a real bargain!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kona-Explosif_W0Q ... 2a0404c326

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Interesting. It was in fact the second year of the scandium Explosif, but the red and white 2000 Explosif is the only vintage of which I have never seen a single example for sale. Even this one is rare. After 2001, Kona dropped scandium until 2003 when they introduced the Kula Primo and The King as frame-only models, with scandium stays as well as mainframe.

The scandium Explosifs must have been a commercial disaster, but I think the reasons for that are now irrelevant and arguably stupid. It will be interesting to see how much you make on this.

Thanks for the feedback. I too have never seen a 2000 version. I used to ride an 853 Explosif which was just magnificent...but I have to say...this is as well.

Back