Chainring too worn???

RockiMtn

Gold Trader
Rocky Mountain Fan
Feedback
View
Just swapped in a set of Syncros chainrings and the chain seems to be hopping off the middle ring under load. I'm guessing it's too badly worn to be used, but it doesn't look THAT bad.

Should I keep the inner and outer and just change the middle? Or revert to a full set of new Race Face rings as they are all just too worn? This is with a set of Syncros forged cranks. :cry:

Attachments

• IMG_3903.JPG
    IMG_3903.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 738
  • IMG_3905.JPG
    IMG_3905.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 738
  • IMG_3899.JPG
    IMG_3899.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 738
If you go with new chainrings, you'll be adding a new chain, which might provoke hopping on the cassette-necessitating a new one there as well. I did the same thing last fall on one of my bikes, but didn't need the big ring, just the middle and small ones. Once you have the new parts on, change the chain out about every 600-1000 miles and you will get more life out of the chainrings and cassette-which are the expensive bits.

sorry, forgot to mention. chain is new with maybe a handful of rides. was running a set of standard set of RF in barely used condition prior to swapping these compact rings in, and had no issues. these were bought used.

They look badly worn to me. Look at the middle ring in the bottom pic at 11 o'clock position.

The big ring inner also looks a tad chewed too. Chain falling off a ring often means wear on the ramps. The chain ring is then toast.

I stopped buying used chainrings, people shove worn out old tat on Ebay and call it 'rare vintage' kit. Then some fool like me buys it and expects it to function properly. I pulled my chewed up old Biopace stuff off the bike yesterday and binned it. I don't want some poor sap buying it on Ebay.

Tough call though, ya want the bike as original as possible, but it would also be nice if you could ride it.

Hmmm. I shoved an SR SunTour £16.99 crankset on yesterday. Shifts are buttery smooth and it looks great. When it's toast, I'll bin the entire thing.

I've seen worse (but admittedly not by much).
You are bound to get chain jump with a brand new chain on old rings.
Your choice is wait for chain to wear a bit, or replace rings. If changing the rings, I'd keep the outer and just change the middle and inner and see how that works.

I think a little bit of chain wear is ok. Maybe get yourself a chain wear indicator and at least then you won't need to worry about it getting worn to the extent of killing the cassette.

Latest posts

Back