Whyte PRST-1

titch__16

Retro Guru
Bought this before Christmas. Planning to build with v-brakes and single front gearing, haven't decided on the specs yet though.
preston2.jpg

preston.jpg

It's a lot of fun, very fast and surprisingly light. Best full suspension I think I've ever ridden.

This bike used to get rave reviews in the mags. I often wondered if it was the aesthetics of the design that killed it, or the mechanics? Either way, loved the look of them myself and always fancied one.

I talked to someone that owned one and he said it was better then anything he had ridden.
Nice look bike!

One bit of advice though : Keep the crankset and brakes in a box. They'll come in handy if you ever sell it. The disc version is the one everyone wants, and a single front crankset on a PRST is close to blasphemy. It's one of those bikes you just don't do that kind of stuff to.

from what I have heard, if you ever stand up while climbing, you are riding it wrong ;)

one of these will be in my 10 bike garage one day (try it... its harder than it seems.... you CANNOT have more than 10. trust me, its even harder with a 10 car garage :shock: )

G

I absolutely love the looks of this, it's certainly a 'marmite' topic :LOL:

Raging_Bulls":1rj4j5fc said:
a single front crankset on a PRST is close to blasphemy.

I wouldn't do it to any bike other than a single speed or fixie, but I've read that the chain can gets jammed in the frame on the smallest ring.

unkleGsif":1rj4j5fc said:
one of these will be in my 10 bike garage one day (try it... its harder than it seems.... you CANNOT have more than 10. trust me, its even harder with a 10 car garage :shock: ) G

My 10 car garage has over 82 cars in :shock: :LOL:

This bike is part of mountain bike history as some say that Whyte is the ‘father of the full-suspension mountain bike’. His FRS system was used by Marin in 1996. Whyte came from the world of Formula One. As a senior suspension designer on the Benetton team he helped F1 driver Michael Schumacher to the first of his world championships.

Whyte’s first FRS design for Marin helped team rider Paul Lasenby win the 1996 National Championships, the first XC win for a full-suspension bike.

I love te interesting history beind the name. This one's definitely a keeper :LOL:
Hopefully I'll do it justice with parts selection!

Back