8Freight Cargo bike - restoration / project

So, a perhaps penultimate update:
A look at the stand dropping mechanism and a comparison to my orange bike that has a completely different mechanism.
The reason I am comparing them is because the black bike has a cable end point that suggests that the black bike had the stand actuation mechanism similar to the orange bike, confused....I know I am... Photos will explain!
Firstly: the mechanism that I have bodged for the black bike. the cable pulls a lever that causes the cranked kicker to kick down the stand. The gas strut keeps the stand up or down, because of how it is set up. The spring pulls the kicker back.
019.jpg

On the orange bike the mechanism is different:
0001.jpg

The cable is at the front of the load area and the mechanism is independent of the wooden load plate.
000001.jpg
The cable pulls a lever (Latch) and the gas strut drops the stand. The gas strut is always ready to drop the stand as soon as the latch gets out of the way. The latch is held in the way of the stand cam by a spring or reed made out of two little pieces of carbon fibre. A Burrows special I'd say.
00001.jpg
00000001.jpg
The downside of the orange bike method is that if the mechanism isn't set up right and is too loose a bump can bounce the latch and dislodge the stand cam and the stand will drop because of the gas strut. But on the orange bike over the last 5 years of riding I reckon the gas strut has failed so it is only gravity acting on the stand and it drops nicely under gravity, so maybe the strut is overkill for this type! The yellow bike has only got the possibility to have the kicking lever. Of course you can use your foot to drop the stand with the kicking lever. But not the type on the orange bike.

I have managed to raise the stand while riding by wrapping my toe backwards. It's not too difficult.

Hopefully these photos explain what is happening, and will be useful to someone who has one of the 100 Burrows Engineering 8Freights out there! Or maybe the other 97 are all different too!

My next post might be the wrap up with some after photos, the bike works now!

I can’t remember if it’s been mentioned, but you can get those struts from RS and they’re not too expensive. They’re supplied with massive pressure in them and you carefully let some of the pressure out with a grub screw until it’s got the right amount of spring.

The specs are listed on the RS site but it’s probably cheaper to buy them elsewhere if you’re not a business. Probably cheap ones on eBay too, but can’t guarantee the quality or longevity of a no-brand one.

Finally, some photos with the mudguards fitted and original cargo canvas.
The bike rides fine, the only remaining issue is the chain rubbing on the front crossmember of the cargo box, the simple way to fix this is to remove the rear idler mount and move it to a point 2" forward of the one I am using at the moment. Something tells me this was an early experimental model.
Photos: 001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg
005.jpg
006.jpg
007.jpg
008.jpg
009.jpg
010.jpg

Back