Can I bond this stay into a lug?

This is what I thought too, there is nowhere on/in the lug to access this so I really don't think it's meant to act as a screw with a head. It's completely encased.

On the road side of the forum, there was a thread about Bonded Frames. From memory, the radical part was the order of
assembly in the jigs, and the jig used to push all the tubes together right and keep them there till the glue cures.

My guess is, the AL seat-stay tops are fixed with allen key grub screws that were accessible from the inside of the seat-lug,
all assembled prior to any tube bonding in any lug at all. That join is not completely rigid, and never was supposed to be;
it allows sufficient wiggle room to account for different seat-stay angles for different size frames (otherwise they would have had
to make umpteen more seat-lug variations) and to push the rear triangle into the bottom bracket lug.

What is absolutely critical to keep the stays together and fixed is the brake bridge, so it may be an idea to check that over too.

All that said, I think it is best to have it as wall art, or if you do ride it, close the stays with force and put a zip-tie there. :)

I managed to source some suitable bonding material, I did a bit of research and discovered manufacturers have used Permabond for their frames in the past. I can tell you that this stuff is pretty savage and after bonding the lugs and the bridge it's certainly solid now.

b7SHueR.jpg

I think the stuff to use is what they use for bonding golf clubs together.

Ideally, your golf epoxy should have a PSI number of over 2500 PSI. The GolfWorks shafting epoxy is a great option because of its high torque resistance and shear strength.

The et500 is a good choice for short cure, the et536 is a bit stronger but longer cure time. 2600<3200psi between the two. šŸ‘

Back