Needing some advice - wheel bearings grimeca bassano

jamesd86

Retro Newbie
Hey

this is my first post on the forum - apologies if its in the wrong section.

i have recently been refurbing my old mans townsend hedgehopper and making into a singlespeed for just nipping around on. front wheel had seen better days so was on the hunt for a new wheel. fancied a 5 spoke for the front so found a good deal on a Grimeca Bassano 26" 5 spoke (missing hub and bearings) now i know i have read people's hate for these wheels but still I've bought it.
me and my naivety thought that the the bearings etc would fit from the other wheel but don't.

so my question is.. what bearings do i need for this wheel? and where would i get them from?

thanks in advance for your time

J

Re: Needing some advice

Only advise I can give is; stick the name of the wheel in the thread header, you’ll be more likely to grab someone’s attention.....

Hi J,

I suspect these use metric cassette bearings.

You'll need to have the correct axles to measure the internal diameter of the bearing.
Then measure the bearing seat in the wheel casting to get the external diameter and depth of the bearing.

With these three measurements (Int Dia, Ext Dia, Depth), you'll be able to find the ISO number for the bearing (or ask here).

TBH, probably easier to just buy a set of wheels with the axles and bearings still fitted.

All the best,

danson67":1oms5l85 said:
Hi J,

I suspect these use metric cassette bearings.

You'll need to have the correct axles to measure the internal diameter of the bearing.
Then measure the bearing seat in the wheel casting to get the external diameter and depth of the bearing.

With these three measurements (Int Dia, Ext Dia, Depth), you'll be able to find the ISO number for the bearing (or ask here).

TBH, probably easier to just buy a set of wheels with the axles and bearings still fitted.

All the best,

thanks for your help

i thought i was relatively clued up re bikes but getting to grips with this am out of my depth haha. i know it would be easier to buy a wheel with bearings and axle, i have 2 wheels that work on the bike and just presummed they would fit

so can i use the axle i have?

do you have any diagrams/images of what i need to measure?

and once again thanks for your help

Latest posts

Back