Overburys hybrid - fillet Columbus

I would be happy to add a 700c to the stable, it's one of the things that appeals most about it.

It could be a completely bespoke custom made bike, maybe somebody fancied a Pioneer style frameset built for 700c wheels. (Edit ^^ you beat me to it :) )

It's looks like it might make for a nice off road drop bar bike packer, I have a Roberts Black Leopard frameset currently being resprayed at Mercian for that particular purpose, but this one, with more eyelets and larger wheels might be preferable, certainly gives me more options for baggage. It all depends on how it rides, if it fits me then I might be faced with a dilemma.

Any recommendations for period correct 700c wheelsets would be appreciated, I have a knowledge gap there, something with off road durability and better for rim braking.

Last edited:
Surely by definition your wheels are already period correct because they came with the bike ?
and the hubs match the other components . A quick search of Mavic Module 4 rims reveals
a heavy duty box section rim with double eyelets suitable for expedition/tandem use .
You may just have to compromise a bit on the braking performance

Surely by definition your wheels are already period correct because they came with the bike ?
and the hubs match the other components . A quick search of Mavic Module 4 rims reveals
a heavy duty box section rim with double eyelets suitable for expedition/tandem use .
You may just have to compromise a bit on the braking performance
Cheers for the clarification, I misunderstood your previous post and thought you were implying that these weren't meant for rim braking, but if they have plenty of life and do the job then they will be fine.

Back to the brakes, assuming it's a keeper, I'll definitely be replacing the V's with cantis, I can't believe, looking at the rest of the bike that the v brakes were originally fitted, seems more like a later 'upgrade'.

What would you say the frame size is? It looks about 18'' to me, I'm wondering how wheel size affects frame fit, with road bikes and hybrids generally having taller frames c to t than 26ers for the same sized rider.

Just tagging along to see what you’re up to

I agree , the V's certainly looked out of place particularly in black . It will be interesting to date the various components
to get some idea of the original specification and perhaps confirm the possible upgrade . Based on the head tube the frame
looks like a 'medium' ie . 18.1/2" The rolling radius of a 700c wheel will be around 25/30mm larger than a 26" MTB wheel ,
so the whole frame will sit that much higher

Here's a very rough sketch to show the direction I intend to take. Obviously colours and the fact that the stem I pasted in is 1 1/8 should not be taken literally, it's just to show how it might look with dirt drops and a better saddle at a decent height.
mockup.jpg

As previously mentioned v-brakes will be switched out for cantis, the saddle and seatpost will go too, I'll also treat it to a pair of Rene Herse tan walls, all moving parts, bearings etc will be fully serviced and everything will be thoroughly cleaned and polished. What else gets replaced depends entirely upon condition, from the pics it looks to be in very good shape so hopefully it can remain mostly as is, but pics can be deceptive.

Did some more mucking about with mspaint, superimposing this frameset over an 18.5'' Pioneer from 1988, and vice versa. It's not a perfect fit but it is very very close, it looks like this might be based on an 18'' pioneer frameset that has been set up for 700c wheels. Main triangle seems to be identical, most obvious differences are that mine has a longer fork which makes sense and, surprisingly, shorter stays, shorter seat tube too.

Hardly scientific but interesting none the less.

op18.5.jpg
mockup2.jpg

Back