Picked up this beautiful Peugeot 753 Pro yesterday 52cm

Thanks for all the comments folks and good to know i have a stronglight seat post. So far have changed the tyres as the originals were de-laminating. Kept the originals though. Also have sourced a shorter 3ttt stem, replaced the pedals for shimano 600 items, and found a rear 13-23 cassette that will replace the 13-18 that's on there. Have also trued up the real wheel which was buckled.
Am waiting for a few other bits that are in the post before I really spend some time on her.

Cheers

Fabulous find and I’m very jealous as I’ve been looking for the road variant to match the mountain bike ones I have. Yours looks in great condition too. Where did you find that? I spotted one in Ireland a year ago for sale but the guy want crazy money for it. 792491CE-FA23-454B-9F49-5D24AE19D489.jpeg

I picked mine up on Ebay, in the UK. I've finished making it road worthy and it is a lovely springy ride.

You are right, they are very rare, especially when you factor in the size, and originality of it.

View attachment 654814

Hello all
I've been looking for one of these Peugeot 753's for ages and i've never seen another 52cm come up for sale - She's totally original, even down to the Michein Hi Lite Super Comp HD tyres which are a bit perished and not really safe to ride. The pedals are as per the 1989 catalogue of the time as are all the components. Wolber rims, Cinelli bars and stem, and a full ultegra tri-colour groupset. Look pedals are also kind of cool in a matching color, again as per the catalogue. I am a bit puzzled by the seat stem so if anyone can shed some light on that I would appreciate it.

My plan is to replace the tyres and bar tape with a blue white fade, do something about the pedals as there are good modern pedals out there and i'm not sure what cleats would fit the old 33 year old look ones. I have a set of ultegra ones i could use, but the toe clips are past it, so i will have to fine a set of those with 3 holes in a triangle pattern (if anyone has some i could be interested).

I'm not sure what the story with these framesets was at Peugeot at the time, as they could be bought as a frame only but the fact that all the components are very similar to that was in the catalogue at the time makes me wonder whether you could also ask Peugeot to build a bike to your spec?

Anyway thought i would share, any comments or views welcome.

Thanks

kk
I realise this is an old thread, but I also am the proud owner of a 1989 Peugeot 753 Pro, 62cm frame with full Shimano 600 'tricolor' STI groupset. I bought it in 1989, second-hand, from a geezer in Watford who'd bought it new, ridden it twice and after a couple of months' ownership, decided cycling wasn't for him. I've made a few, fairly minor, component changes over the intervening 35 years, but the bike is still very largely original and still rides really well.

I can confirm that the seat tube is by Stronglight - mine's the same. I swapped the original Atax quill stem for a longer Cinelli XA one (ditto the original bars are now swapped to Cinellis), replaced the quill pedals + straps with Look (first original Delta, more recently Keos) and the saddle with a black San Marco Rolls. More recently I've had to replace the freehub (originally Ultraglide) with a more recent Hyperglide one, to facilitate a change of gearing, as UG stuff seems no longer available. That required a bit of 'surgery'... Original Shimano 600 52/42 rings I replaced with TA 53/39s at some point.

One thing I'm not sure of with yours is whether the wheels are actually original. Mine came with (and still have) really rather nice Mavic Mach 2 CD2 sprint rims, now kitted out with Vittoria Rally 21mm tubs (originally it came with Wolber tubs). The catalogues of the time showed that these sprints + tubs were standard fitment, but I'm not aware there was ever a clincher option (such as yours has) at the time.

More recently, I decided to strip back the lower part of the paint on the front forks (which had become quite chipped) to reveal the lovely chrome underneath. I'm really not sure why they decided to paint over the chrome for the '89 model year; maybe they decided chrome was looking 'old hat' by then, but I really rather like the look of the 'half-chromed' forks on mine now!

Attachments

• IMG_1564.jpeg
    IMG_1564.jpeg
    870.5 KB · Views: 22
Interesting story about this colour scheme. Peugeot adopted this colour scheme following legal wrangles when Carrera poached Stephen Roche from Peugeot whilst he was still on contract. As Carrera rode Battaglin , Peugeot insisted Stephen Roche wore Peugeot shorts and had his red white and blue Battaglin stickered up as a Peugeot for the remainder of his unfulfilled contract .Peugeot then followed up by releasing a Peugeot 753 bike and frameset in those same Battaglin colours. The below photo is that Battaglin with Peugeot decals.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240520-210805_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240520-210805_Chrome.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Interesting story about this colour scheme. Peugeot adopted this colour scheme following legal wrangles when Carrera poached Stephen Roche from Peugeot whilst he was still on contract. As Carrera rode Battaglin , Peugeot insisted Stephen Roche wore Peugeot shorts and had his Battaglin stickered up as a Peugeot in their red white and blue! Peugeot then followed up by releasing a Peugeot 753 bike and frameset in those same colours. The below photo is that Battaglin with Peugeot decals.
I'm sure that influenced my choice of this bike at the time! I remember his '87 Tour win as a particular highlight.

Incidentally, about 10 years ago I completely rebuilt the original wheels (Shimano 600 hubs, Mavic Mach 2 CD2 sprint rims) with Sapim double-butted stainless spokes. I'd got fed up with a rash of spoke breakages (especially on the back wheel) by then, and rebuilding seemed the obvious remedial measure. Held no fear for me as I'd built a wheelset previously (Mavic GP4s on Campag Record on that occasion). They run straight and true and have been incredibly strong over the years - sprint rims being an inherently superior engineering structure. And I still like the ride feel of 21mm tubulars!

I'm sure that influenced my choice of this bike at the time! I remember his '87 Tour win as a particular highlight.

Incidentally, about 10 years ago I completely rebuilt the original wheels (Shimano 600 hubs, Mavic Mach 2 CD2 sprint rims) with Sapim double-butted stainless spokes. I'd got fed up with a rash of spoke breakages (especially on the back wheel) by then, and rebuilding seemed the obvious remedial measure. Held no fear for me as I'd built a wheelset previously (Mavic GP4s on Campag Record on that occasion). They run straight and true and have been incredibly strong over the years - sprint rims being an inherently superior engineering structure. And I still like the ride feel of 21mm tubulars!
And BTW this bike weighs in at 9.8kg including the Look Keo pedals. Not bad for a 35-year-old bike in a large (62cm) frame size!

Just a correction to my description above: the Shimano 600 'tricolor' groupset wasn't STI, of course, but it did use the SIS indexed shifting for its 7-speed downtube rear shifter. For clarity, it's the Shimano 6400 (otherwise known, a bit confusingly, as 600 Ultegra) groupset, to give it its proper name. And the original freehub was Uniglide (7-speed), not Ultraglide as I erroneously described it. As noted above, I converted it to Hyperglide so I could change the gearing from the original 13-21 to 13-23 when I started to get serious wear on some of the original sprockets (which just aren't available anymore). Although this involved dismantling both old and new freehubs and grafting the externals of the Hyperglide onto the internal section of the UG one in order to be able to fit it to the original rear hub, it did pay off in a notable improvement in shift quality - plus still ready availability of cassettes, of course.

Back