What can you tell me about Halfords bikes?

Thanks for the info 👍 takes me right back to 1978-9 lusting after a white top of the range Halfords Elan. It had Simplex gears, Weinnman 605 side pulls with QR, and skinny Weinnman concave rims shod with the new Michelin Elan 700c wire on's. I had a Dawes Chevron 5-speed racer with 26 inch wheels and would regularly make the detour into town on the way home from school just to see them skinny rims. Fat butt's and skinny wheels.. think that's the Elan on the album cover, can't find a picture but very similar to the International apart from the wheels, brakes and think the chain set was silver. Fortunately as a grotty teenager I was into Punk 😉

View attachment 848585View attachment 848586
Thinking back the white bike was the Halfords International, those skinny tyres made such an impression on me I've got Elan on the brain 🤣

I'm pretty sure when I was a kid in the 70's you could buy Halfords transfers/stickers to put on your bike. I can't really think why anyone would do that except I suppose if you had painted a bike it might look better than just leaving it with nothing? Just pointing out that the frames might have nothing to do with Halfords at all.

I'm pretty sure when I was a kid in the 70's you could buy Halfords transfers/stickers to put on your bike. I can't really think why anyone would do that except I suppose if you had painted a bike it might look better than just leaving it with nothing? Just pointing out that the frames might have nothing to do with Halfords at all.

Thanks. Something to take into consideration. But this may have been more or less what the Dutch branch of Halfords was doing at the time: buying blank frames from whomever was willing to sell them at a fair price and put Halfords stickers on them.

The fact that neither of the above frames have a serial number certainly points in that direction.

Latest posts

Back