Wolber classic 290's

shiva

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

First post, I did a search and did not come up with anything so here goes...

I have just received my late fathers bike (who was a semi-pro in the 50's) which is a custom Ellis-Briggs Reynolds 531, Campag Athena Group, Mavic gp4's and Wolber Classic 290's. I'ts actually a very nice bike and I have been using it as a commuter and a few longer weekenders (50 -60 km's), it's a nice change from the aluminium avanti I was using.

I'm not that comfortable on the wolbers (glue and all) so I've managed to scrounge an 8 speed campag hi-pressure inner tube set of wheels & tyres for the commute to work, but I'm still curious about the wolbers, and want to try them out at a weekend or longer ride.

I run the normal hi-press inners at about 90-100 psi, but I'm not that confident about which pressure to run the wolbers at ? 100 psi seems a bit too high, I have them at around 40 odd , for the last month or so and they seem fine, but way too soft to ride on for any length of time.

I've googled and yahoo'd and had a good look around other bike forums, but this is the place that seems to have the gen on these classic race tyre sets?

By the way , I'm in Sydney, OZ and I don't know of any other retro bikes llike this around here.

cheers

Shiva

edit <spelling>

Back