Oversize alloy

I have a klein and Cannondale, love the large tubing and smooth welding. That's why I was curious what other manufacturer did that

Do you mean big tubes? little companies have done bigger than this :)

This is branded as BH but it is the same as the Grisley Mega. Both were quite lightweight.
1685435520500.png

The Mega 40 was a very nice bicycle, but it is quite difficult to find one in good shape, more than a Klein:
1685435856855.png

So I've always been a fan of kleins and older Cannondale with their oversize tubing, what other companies did the same?

The Kona Ku, the last iterations in 1998, used Columbus Megatubing, which well, is exactly that. They ride extremely well; light and they soak up the bumps very well.

Ah indeed - Gary Klein did excellent and innovative materials work whilst at MIT and then when manufacturing in Cal and then in Washington State.

this is an excellent historical look.

novekilli - yes that's exactly right...they were great for the sort of trails which Gary K was riding in the USA - Marin County in the weekends, Moab for a trip....but harsh as harsh on the stuff which I was riding - South Downs rootiness and lumpy Devon and Yorkshire.. I had Manitou 1s on the front , which took the sting out of things. But at the time I transferred quickly to Tange - including the truly wonderful Marin Team and Team Ti - I am afraid I consider these vastly superior to Kleins of the time - longer tt s and SO fast downhill.

And on the Klein the thin as thin downtube took a pasting from flints thrown up from the front wheel.

So.....do I have any AL alloy bikes? Yep.....Ragley mmmBop, Ragley Marley (my son's XC rig), Transition Sentinel AL. It's a perfectly valuable alloy, it's just that the Klein was a wonder of paint and innovation which didn't meet my criteria.....

Funk frames were reasonably chunky aluminium, as were Ozone/Bigfoot.

Not "silly fat Grisley, frame's having a top-tube poo" fat though

Some of the later Kona alloy offerings, such as the oddly named ‘scrap’, would have survived a direct nuclear strike. Rigid? Rather like a 10m section of railway track is rigid.

My British Eagle bike isn’t heavy.

Attachments

• EF3AD108-883F-467B-89D0-016720A8AE4E.jpeg
    EF3AD108-883F-467B-89D0-016720A8AE4E.jpeg
    789.4 KB · Views: 3
Back