10 speed cranks on 8 speed..

Jared Purdy

Dirt Disciple
The title pretty much says it. I have a lead on a NOS 2005 aluminum Record 10 speed crank set, and the cost is tempting me to consider getting it for the chain rings to use on my 1993 Record 8 speed. Any thoughts as to how it would all integrate? They're the same BCD. They're also the same colour so they wouldn't look out of place. Cheers. JP

As long as the BCD is the same & same number of chainring bolts then any make size of ring can be used within reason even this osymetric oval rings that were all the rage a few years ago.

If the 8 speed chainset has the hidden 5th arm like the 10 speed one does then it will be okay. I used to run a 10 speed chainset with my 8 speed setup and the only slight issue I had was the chain rubbing on the outer ring when using the inner ring and the second to smallest sprocket on the cassette. With an 8 speed chainset it wasn't an issue and I assume it's because 10 speed chainrings are slightly closer together.

If the 8 speed chainset has the hidden 5th arm like the 10 speed one does then it will be okay. I used to run a 10 speed chainset with my 8 speed setup and the only slight issue I had was the chain rubbing on the outer ring when using the inner ring and the second to smallest sprocket on the cassette. With an 8 speed chainset it wasn't an issue and I assume it's because 10 speed chainrings are slightly closer together.
I take it you were using a 8 speed chain, did you ever try a 10 speed chain on the 8 speed cassette etc? I have posted a similar thread a few months ago and got various replies (different speed 7-9), my conclusion was "I just need to try it" to see it it works or not. Edit - apologies you are talking Campag - I was asking about Shimano - Ignore me. 🤪

I take it you were using a 8 speed chain, did you ever try a 10 speed chain on the 8 speed cassette etc? I have posted a similar thread a few months ago and got various replies (different speed 7-9), my conclusion was "I just need to try it" to see it it works or not. Edit - apologies you are talking Campag - I was asking about Shimano - Ignore me. 🤪
I guess the same principle applies regardless of whether it's Campag or Shimano. I was using an 8 speed chain which is just a bit wider than 10 speed so that's probably why the chain rub was happening. I have used an 11 speed chain on 10 speed chainrings and not had any issues.

Thanks for the replies. They seem to be the consensus. That being said, I was able to source a pair of NOS 39/53 mid 90's C Record chainrings. Perfect!

Back