1989 GT Karakoram K2

zedstarr

Retro Newbie
My ride :) 1989 GT Karakoram K2

I think this was just about the last year of skinny forks, before they got fatter and then went suspended...

Brief spec: Shimano Deore DX front & rear derailleur, Deore DX front & rear hub + QR, Shimano STI shifters, SLR levers & SLR front brake, rear Shimano U-II U brake. Wheels, saddle, pedals & toeclips original.... whatever they were.

Just getting back into riding after about a 10 year lapse!

I bought the bike 2nd hand (from the excellent BicycleDoctor in Manchester) in 1991 and rode it in anger (serious off-road) for about 4 or 5 years after that, but then marriage, kids etc. all seemed to take my time up and the poor GT got consigned to the shed... ;-)

The bike is still standard - apart from the bar-ends, sigma BC1600 and just fitted some new Tyres - went for Ritchey Z-max to stay true to the original Megabites that GT fitted. ("Redline" sticker was added by previous owner).

As I said, just gradually getting back into riding, building up some miles on the road to get fit, and signed up for a 60 mile charity ride, Manchester to Blackpool on the 4th July - so I've got a target to aim for...

15052010397.jpg

Thanks guys.

As I get back into things I'm think of going clipless pedals, and a new saddle too (with cutout to aid blood flow to those sensitive areas!).

As for slicks I think I'm too lazy to change tyres - more knobbles = more calories burned!

zedstarr":1d0kdkbz said:
As for slicks I think I'm too lazy to change tyres - more knobbles = more calories burned!

That's the spirit! Putting slicks on that bike would be an insult.

you might not be saying that mid ride, and anyway slicks will mean you can go faster and thus use the same calaories, you will just get there a good bit quicker but whatever floats your boat big man.

Nice looking bike. I do like early GTs.
I'll keep an eye out for you on the Manchester to Blackpool too. I usually end up riding it.

Ahaa i'm finally seeing double!! :cool:

It's nice to see another one in the same colour on the forum.. hope you enjoy even more this time round, it's a cool bike you got there.

(check out mine below)

Back