1992 Marin Pailsades Trail rebuild

ali-king

Retro Newbie
Hi all,
I'm just getting geared up for a rebuild of a '92 Marin Palisades Trail, any of you fine folk know what size front mech, bottom bracket (I know it's 68mm but have seen reports of 118 or 122.5 for axle length) and seat post diameter I'll be after pretty please?
After getting my not very precise ruler out, looks like front mech is 28.6 and seatpost dia is 26.4. Sound about right?
Ta,
Alistair.

Re:

Thanks, not particularly original for the frame but I've got some old Sugino cranks in the shed, not in any way low profile, full thickness of the drive side crank is about 28mm, square internal section is roughly 18mm in length. On that basis go for 122mm over 118mm?

Re:

I had a 1992 Palisades trail I bought brand new in Oct 92, although it was 300LX group set strangely it came fitted with 500LX cranks.

Re:

By rights for 300LX , you need 122mm.

I would just go for that providing you dont fit compact cranks.

All said, the chain line could be less than ideal but ought to function ok.

I rarely use the full range of a bikes gearing anyway.

Yes front mech 28.6mm.

Re:

Super, many thanks for the replies all. I think the Sugino's I was going to use are compact but I do have an Exage Country Biopace chainset that I could maybe use instead. It seems to have a large inwards offset that makes it look like there's no way the inner ring can be used without it interfering with the chainstay.
Hmm, something for me to think about.
Thanks again,
Alistair.

Re:

P.s

3, 4 , 500LX Are essentially the same, I think 500 were just polished up. Same weight though. Remove the rings and there's nowt in it.

Re: Re:

marc two tone":298ic2l0 said:
P.s

3, 4 , 500LX Are essentially the same, I think 500 were just polished up. Same weight though. Remove the rings and there's nowt in it.

I just remember being pleased as it had 500lx alloy rings instead of 300lx steel rings!

Back