Clear Klein Instinct grips.... are these legit or repro? Does it matter?

Factorycol

98+ BoTM Winner
Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
Afternoon all.

I've listed these, but only when googling to get a date, did I realise you can now get repro ones.

I bought these as part of a bike deal and I'm 99% they were originals on the bike from new.

Before people start bidding too much, does anyone know how to tell if they are legit?

Col.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
It is quite hard to imagine they would stayed that colour for 30+ years unless stored in a cool dark place etc (and even then).

It is quite hard to imagine they would stayed that colour for 30+ years unless stored in a cool dark place etc (and even then).
I mean, that is exactly how i store my retro stuff, some of its still in boxes, stored in cool dark places. So I'm never suprised to find mint stuff tucked away at the back of shops etc. But I think the fact they don't appear to have made them back in the day is the main give away they are repro versions.

I mean, that is exactly how i store my retro stuff, some of its still in boxes, stored in cool dark places. So I'm never suprised to find mint stuff tucked away at the back of shops etc. But I think the fact they don't appear to have made them back in the day is the main give away they are repro versions.

Deffo, but the guy you bought the bike off reckons they were on the bike for 30 years. It's harder to imagine an entire bike stored unused in a cool dark place etc for 30 years, although it does happen.

and yes I do store my bikes in cool dark places.

My fat chance for instance has only been in the sun three times, that I'm aware of, and one of them was to move it to the tent for the show at Malverns.

Last edited:
I didn't say that. I said I bought them as part of a bike deal. and yes I do store my bikes in cool dark places.

My fat chance for instance has only been in the sun three times, that I'm aware of, and one of them was to move it to the tent for the show at Malverns.

OK, my mistake. I read the eBay listing differently: "They have been on a bike for 30+ years, but never really ridden, and never leant against a wall, so the end of still perfect."

Back