Needle bearing Headsets ?

Dave_Mars

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Anyone know anything bout these? Are they regarded as good headsets in general?

I discovered one today - never having heard of such thing in 5 years working in the bike industry :oops:

Thoughts?

Had a Hope one for years in my RC200.They used to make both needle and cartridge at first. Have used various FSA ones as well. Mostly in DH rigs as better for heavy loads.

Had a stronglight one that I didn't know anything about. Asked on here and everyone seemed to suggest it was top notch. ;) First one I'd seen as well.

Odyssey made one back in the mid 90s. I tried one on my Edge. It was a POS. Had to tighten it after every bump.

n_toro_pro.jpg

Just sold this Enduro on the right. I agree with what RC300 says and coincidentally I sold it to somebody with an RC200 F6. I believe you put oil in them rather than grease and they last a long time. Also had an FSA Orbit, never had any trouble with it.

The XC type of Hope on the left uses cartridge bearings.

Attachments

• Hope headsets.jpg
    Hope headsets.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 782
interesting! Thanks for the insights .. I don't see too many needle bearings about except in dura-ace BBs and Cannondale forks .. and I usually end up inadvertently flexing the little plastic cases which promptly expel the bearings all over the floor and I spend the next 2 hours on hands and knees hunting them! :?

I've known of them for some time and have had a couple fitted to bikes I've bought. Personally do not like them, never seemed as smooth as ball bearings :?

Woodman components do one with both needle and ball bearings in both top and bottom cups. Helps with all possible stresses the headset encounters but possibly overkill :roll:

Used a couple of different ones over the years, both FSA and stronglight. They do seem to last a while but as said here they do not seem as smooth as normal bearings.
Did have a FSA one with needle bearings lower and normal bearings in the top. Lasted for about 5 year plus on DH and jump bikes. Never came loose once.
Worth try defo. ;)

Great! the only way to go!
As said, torro and stronglight, but also the onza mongo/mongo II.
With love these will outlast everything.. .

Back