Owwwwwwww!

rosstheboss

Retrobike Rider
I crashed today on a trail known locally as 'the downhill of doom' and managed to not get a scratch on me apart from my armpit!?! and tearing all the muscles in the same shoulder. I've never been in so much pain without having anything to show for it! It sucks! Not very interesting but I had to share it with someone!

I had a big crash on Thursday night on the regular RB meet at Chicksands. Going too fast on a steep technical downhill, couldn't scrub off enough speed before hitting the log drop at the bottom, straight over the bars. All I could think at the time was don't stick you hands out - keep your arms tucked in! Hit the ground hard landing on my head, never had such a hard impact before. All I've got to show for it are a few grazes on my shoulders and upper back plus a big bump on the top of my head, not to mention the pain and stiffness in my neck and shoulders. To quote EdEdwards - Pain is temporary, glory lasts forever!

One good thing to come out of it, Giro Xen's are very good helmets. I personally recommend them.

It's funny how you mentioned thinking you have to keep your arms tucked in, it's amazing the amount of time you have to think during a big stack, when i had a big crash a few years ago i remember flying through the air looking down at the ground whizzing by thinking "this is gonna hurt :roll: " then the bike flew by me and i thought "well at least the bike is'nt going to hit me :) ", when i touched down (landing on my shoulder) i started barrel rolling down the hill with my arms and legs flailing and i thought "i'd better try and tuck them in or i'll break something" course i did'nt know my collar bone already was :roll:

rosstheboss":1ybke55s said:
I crashed today on a trail known locally as 'the downhill of doom' and managed to not get a scratch on me apart from my armpit!?! and tearing all the muscles in the same shoulder. I've never been in so much pain without having anything to show for it! It sucks! Not very interesting but I had to share it with someone!

Maybe a good time to change your avatar... ;)

Attachments

• bump.jpg
    bump.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,531
Well I didn’t have any time to think about it (that I remember) :?

Nice gentle down hill, then a loud crack , then sit up wondering what had happened :LOL:

My new front wheel looked like walkers finest (which resulted in some swearing), a sore knee (more swearing) then rubbed by shoulder to discover that the crack was actually my collar bone (later to be found in three pieces) :LOL: :LOL:

I had one crash a few years ago where I was in the air long enough to think "If I don't shut my mouth I'm going to knock my teeth out", then landed and slid a few metres along the road with my teeth intact, unfortunately the rest of me looked like I'd been in a blender! The crash that started this thread only gave me enough time to think "oh fu.." I didn't even get to finish the word! Just a nasty 'click bang' of a crash if you see what i mean....

And one more thing; typing one handed is a pain in the arse! I still can't lift my arm up or out, balls!

rosstheboss":3o9yns2w said:
I had one crash a few years ago where I was in the air long enough to think "If I don't shut my mouth I'm going to knock my teeth out", then landed and slid a few metres along the road with my teeth intact, unfortunately the rest of me looked like I'd been in a blender! The crash that started this thread only gave me enough time to think "oh fu.." I didn't even get to finish the word! Just a nasty 'click bang' of a crash if you see what i mean....

And one more thing; typing one handed is a pain in the arse! I still can't lift my arm up or out, balls!

Are you sure your collar bone is intact ? your symptoms sound familiar ... :(

Back