presta valves are rubbish

mikee

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
GT Fan
Feedback
View
does anyone else detest these bloody things ?

cant inflate them with a trail pump, so a 3 mile walk home
glad it was sunny

schrader valves are far better imho

Most of tubes are presta and I never have a trailside problem.

I just change the adaptor on my mini pump to switch from presta to schrader.

A useless man blames his tools ;)

Yes - I hate them. The amount of twiddly little valves nuggets that break at the hands of my new pedros pump too. :-(

However, they are well 'pro' and my tiny 45g carbon pump of daftness and pimpery won't accommodate a shraeder valve, and because I can't quite face ditching such a gargantuan waste of moolah as the pump of daftness, I must continue. That and that the wheels are all drilled for the skinny trouble makers.

;)

mikee":i3ze0vfh said:
does anyone else detest these bloody things ?

cant inflate them with a trail pump, so a 3 mile walk home
glad it was sunny

schrader valves are far better imho

I was thanking god I was riding my presta equipped SS yesterday or it would have been an 8 mile walk home for me. Cut my ride short as I noticed the rear had gone soft, but stupidly I decided not to bother with pump and repair kit yesterday. I was riding as fast as my legs could turn the SS to get home, but no good it was going very soft, and then I saw two roadies, flagged them down and asked for a pump, but they didn't really want to stop and just shouted it won't fit that anyway, when I shouted it's presta they did stop in surprise. Anyway, pumped it rock hard and road like as fast as I could, a mile from home it was wondering all over at the back but just made it.

Don't normally go for presta, but these rims were drilled for presta and i just stuck with it.

glad its not just me

oh and as you said that little screwy in bit that a wildly flailing pump will
shear off .....aaaarrrgggg :evil:

I thought I was the only person who detested Presta.

Presta = Fragile crap. A throwback to roadies. Who needs high pressure valves on an MTB tube, anyway?

Schraeder = Non-fragile and reliable, IME. A throwback to cars, but so what? If they have a weight or "uncool" penalty, I couldn't care less - get over it.

One works for muddy, nasty mountain bikes; The other is a troublesome PITA only fit for roadies, weight obsessives and carpet queens.

I used to not mind, but having had rims be a right bind with Schrader so i tend to prefer Prestas.

TBH I find each as fiddly (or not) as each other.

DM":3qc8ajhd said:
I thought I was the only person who detested Presta.

Me too. :LOL:

Well it looks like we're a little club.

"My name is Wu and I detest Presta"

ah, i feel cleansed.

;)

Back