Raleigh Max Cro Mo II Advice needed to get it back in use.

natlol

Retro Newbie
Hello all... I am after a little bit of advice. I have a Raleigh Max Cro Mo II mountain bike which I think I brought around 95/96. It was well used but kept nice and shiny until I retired it after buying a car. I now want to start using it again and having rescued it from the shed have a number of questions I hope you can help me with.

The crank used to creak when I peddled so I have stripped the bottom bracket which is an older type with bearings / cones and have noticed some pitting on the axle/bearings which I pressume is terminal. One of the crank arms is also slightly damaged and the cogs have really worn teeth. I have measured the frame width and it is 68mm. The axle has 3s stamped in it and measures approx. 124mm wide but i notice that it is longer one side then the other if that makes sense. The arms are 170mm and the cogs are 24/34/42 and are not able to be taken apart as they are riveted together...They have a sticker with SR PowerFlo Front PFF on them. One of the crank arms has SR CW-xr16 stuck to it.

I would love to get the bike operational again. I have taken it to a local bike shop and they want a minimum of £100 to get it operational by replacing the bb and cranks so I have decided to have ago myself as the bike cant be worth more then a pint of lager :)

As a minimum it appears I need to buy a new bottom bracket and cranks but am not sure what replacements will fit and if its possible to get original parts. I have done lots of research but am still struggling to work out what will actual fit and work.

I would be really gratefull of any advice that can be offered and have attached some photos of it.

Attachments

• back.JPG
    back.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 6,070
  • crank_cr.jpg
    crank_cr.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 6,069
  • fullbike_cr.jpg
    fullbike_cr.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 6,071
Stick it on ebay,its more trouble than its worth
Plenty nice bikes about for less than £100 :? ,have a look in the for sale section

Great bikes, very under rather full 4130 frames with well thought out profiles which gives good drive and a complaint ride. I stupidly sold mine and regret it to this day. Seriously worth upgrading the Tourney/Altus finishing kit, though those Altus shifters are surprisingly good.

I too would be interested if I saw one up for sale.

Back