Vitus 992 project

Hilarious :LOL:

A rare RB troll sighting.

Edit; seems all the pictures are broken, so thanks at least for making me notice that!

Pictures are now all fixed.

Here are a couple of extras from some old rides.

IMG_20200409_174857_297.jpg

IMG_20200622_220553_207.jpg

I have some modifciations and changes to make to the 992 shortly. As mentioned I now have the Vitus seatpost fitted, with a white Flite. I tried a Turbo but it's depth didn't look sleek enough. I've also got some Vitus branded Look F-Arc pedals in yellow that are a great fit; they needed some tlc to touch up some paint chips as you can see but they came up well.

IMG_20230211_171235.jpg

I want to change the handlebar and stem - I have a Mavic bar and matching stem I've polished and resprayed the logo onto. I have a dilemma whether to use the Mavic stem or an interesting Modolo two-part stem with a funky yellow top plate. I'm leaning toward the Modolo at the moment as it matches the yellow detailing. I had to cut a filler bit of rubber as the supplied rubber pad left a gap with the bar fitted.

IMG_20230609_153250.jpg

IMG_20230613_154515.jpg

IMG_20230613_153754.jpg

The finishing touches will be replacing the Modolo Kronos plasticy shifters with some Mavic/Simplex 820s and some Mavic brakes when I get them.

OK - but I never saw a modolo Q-Even stem labeled as a MAVIC before ... I don't know who produced the MAVIC stems but for them. I suspect 3ttt - it's looks like a 3ttt Record 84 sibling.

Oh yeah, to be clear they are two different stems, the Mavic one is a 365 and the Modolo one is a Q Race. I just like the look of it with the yellow detail on the bike.

Holy thread resurrection Batman. Jumped back on this project now the weather is finally improving!

First up I dusted the frame and replaced the cheap replacement 'Vitus 992' blue fork stickers I had on before. These new ones are proper foil stickers and a very good match to the originals. The downtube sticker is original as it was in great condition still.

IMG_20240514_181803.jpg

Here we have a pair of super condition Mavic 810/Simplex made shifters. The Modolo Kronos were very light but felt so plasticy in the hand I had to change them.

IMG_20240514_181812.jpg

Thanks to @gridno27 I have a pair of these Mavic 440 brakes fitted. I have the rubber Allen caps for full aeroness once the build is finished.
I repainted the Mavic logos on these, including those on the brake pads; these pads are Kool-Stop replacements again, just masked with a stencil and yellow sprayed through.

IMG_20240514_181828.jpg

Pedals on. I know this is the slightly later Vitus logo but needs must. 😉

IMG_20240514_181849.jpg

Perforated repro Flite on Vitus aero post.

IMG_20240514_181914.jpg

Finally here are the bars and stem, Modolo Q Race two part stem, with Mavic bars. I can't resist the flash of yellow on this stem over the plain silver Mavic ones I have.

IMG_20240514_181936.jpg

More soon!

Last edited:
Cracking bike you built there! I tried those Simplex levers with an 840 mech and found it was terrible! The shifter barrel was so small that to get bottom gear, the lever was in line with the downtube :oops:

Cracking bike you built there! I tried those Simplex levers with an 840 mech and found it was terrible! The shifter barrel was so small that to get bottom gear, the lever was in line with the downtube :oops:
Haha! oh no. Will see how I get on, haven't set up shifting yet, having a 1 year old rather limits my fettling time at the moment. ;)

I had to pull the Modolo lever back quite a way so I don't think these can be worse?! :LOL:

Haha! oh no. Will see how I get on, haven't set up shifting yet, having a 1 year old rather limits my fettling time at the moment. ;)

I had to pull the Modolo lever back quite a way so I don't think these can be worse?! :LOL:
I found the Modolo brakes were excellent, despite the worry of resin levers 😂

Back