what retro bikes are best to avoid if looking to use regularly off road?

monkfish

Dirt Disciple
Firstly a quick hello as this is my fist post. Ive been into mountain biking since it first became popular in the uk and had my fair share of bad bikes that were not up to the task before getting my first half decent kona and then later a zaskar LE (wish i kept that now) and im now looking to add a retro bike to my now very modern bike collection and was wondering if there are any that are best left alone if i plan to use it fairly regularly for light xc duties. Im not looking for a mint example as wouldn't want to spoil it wearing out super rare parts but don't want something terrible to look at and i don't want a garage ornament. Are there certain materials or assembly processes that have not stood up well to the test of time eg certain alloys work hardening or bonded tubes letting go etc. Is Ti better than steel and alloy? any advise is appreciated thanks.

Metal, like all materials, fatigues, steel is more forgiving than most, but even the best steel tubes have a lifespan. Aluminium, magnesium and even titanium frames, especially at the welds, can be problematic if they've had a hard active life and been abused or poorly maintained. Old carbon is obviously something you need to be careful with, and the more potential points of failure there are the more you need to check, so suspension forks for example would need to be serviced, and may need new seals, elastomers/springs etc, to make them safe to use.

If you're planning on going down some serious trails I'd look for a bike with frame and components that have as low mileage as possible. I'd also recommend a full strip down, service and rebuild, paying close attention to any bearings before you ride.

And use modern tyres and brake blocks.

Don’t bother with anything that’s carbon composite constructed, like carbon tubes and aluminum joints. The bonding in the joints can fail and just degrades over time to where it wouldn’t be trustworthy for anything more than very mild trails.

Macretro - Plenty of nice old builds, threads about nice old bike builds, pictures of nice old bike builds. Lots of chat about nice old bike builds

Then I went to a Macretro meet - Modern suss across the board.

As for bits.....deore or lx with metal levers and cantilevers. Cheap as chips and plenty about, so if you total a bit they are less painful to replace.

MT62 deore would be my first choice for a good usable retro. Tie that to some mavic m231 rims and off you go....retro heaven.

As for bits.....deore or lx with metal levers and cantilevers. Cheap as chips and plenty about, so if you total a bit they are less painful to replace.

MT62 deore would be my first choice for a good usable retro. Tie that to some mavic m231 rims and off you go....retro heaven.
I would add DX to that list, functionality of XT with bomb proof construction for less money and a little more weight.

Go Steel frame....best ride, least hassle and cheapest smiles per mile.

Steel is the real deal....
But real steel, proper steel. Not pig iron

Don't be taken in by what's hanging on it. That can all be replaced.

E.g.

Colombus Cromor OR, Max OR, Nivacrom etc

Reynolds 531, 631, 653, 853.

Tange MTB, Prestige, Concept

Other decent tubesets are available.

Go for handbuilt over mass produced, pedigree over bling.

And buy Buy BUY!

Last edited:
What was your first kona?
Why not recreate that?
That way it means something to you.

Otherwise nice mid to late 90s steel, lightweight but not fancy kit, shortish travel marzocchis - doesn't need to be anything special - I've got a rigid cinder cone with lx/cantis - it's brilliant on fire roads

Back