Syncros Ti BB… different???

RockiMtn

Gold Trader
Rocky Mountain Fan
Feedback
View
Got two NOS recently. One's 122mm axle and the other is 107mm. But that's not the only difference. The cups are completely different on them and seems the shell lengths too.

My only guess is that I've read there are single and double row bearings. Can both be used for 68mm and 72mm applications???

Attachments

• IMG_0396.JPG
    IMG_0396.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,413
  • IMG_0394.JPG
    IMG_0394.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 1,413
Thread pitch on the cups looks different too?? Italian/English threads??

The difference in cup lengths looks greater than 5mm too :? :?

Nope, both are marked 1.370x24 and should be english threading. At least that's what I confirmed before buying. :?

The 122mm, I have a similar used one which is installed.

played with the lockrings and they are interchangeable between the two BB, confirming that it's the same pitch and thread direction.

comparing these to a Race Face taperlock BB that fits 68/72 shells, the Syncros are substantially longer. the shorter one is just long enough to accommodate the lockrings. The longer one has significantly excess threading, which i've also confirmed having installed a used one into a bike with a 68mm BB shell.

curiously though, the larger bb is a few grams lighter than the smaller one. :shock:

Attachments

• IMG_0412.JPG
    IMG_0412.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 1,381
  • IMG_0402.JPG
    IMG_0402.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,381
  • IMG_0407.JPG
    IMG_0407.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,381
Looks like the 122mm bottom bracket is for 73mm bottom brackets only. It probably has a bigger space (5mm?) between the bearings.

Check out the 1994 Syncros catalogue in the archive here:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... emId=15728

One is a Pro Series (single row bearings) and the other is a Hardcore (double row bearings). The catalogue mentions "radical outboard bearing placement" as a flex-reducing feature, so presumably the cups are supposed to protrude from the shell on the longer model. That also allows for some chainline adjustment.

The 107 would need to be that design to cater for the cranks as e.g the M900 needs the resess, that's why the shimano's are that design
The longer one wouldn't matter so can be made stronger witht he bearings wider apart..
But the answer is I don't know.
and would need to read the catalouges.

A 73mm can work in a 68 shell, but not vice versa (normally)

Back