For Sale 1987 Raleigh 531C Frame & Forks Type 8802

I had one of these back in the day , bought from a Raleigh dealer

Definitely not SBDU or anything like it, it was mass produced but used quality fittings such as cinelli cast BB shell and seat lug.

If I'm honest, it was probably the best frame I owned in my racing "career". I bought it new as a second bike to use when the weather wasn't so good, to 'save' my colnago master. And it handled so much better than the colnago and was about 2kg lighter. I built it up with a 2x7 6400 tricolour groupset and with clinchers it weighed under 20lbs, which, unless you rode alloy or carbon was a light bike. I kept it after I stopped racing, but had to bin it after an altercation with a car bent it beyond economic repair. After that, I gave up on Italian exotica and custom frames.

What didn't I like ... Well, it was no poser's machine if that matters and the blow holes in the forks and stays were quite large and it would constantly whistle when riding above 20mph. So much so, that I eventually swapped the fork for something else

I don't know how Raleigh did this, but despite it being predominantly white, dirt just seemed to wash off it, so it never looked scruffy and I'm no fastidious bike cleaner
Whistle above 20mph? I'd never hear it!

Back