1995 Alpina 500 Gravel Build

Teus

Devout Dirtbag
Picked up this lovely frame and fork on here as a Karma and have built it up with a load of odds and sods I had in the garage, along with a few choice bits from the bay. Really happy with it now, put the Richey Eromax bars on this weekend, which has brought the front end up a bit. The 8 speed Claris shifters work great with the M737 mech and make the cockpit super clean.

Hopefully, try and give it a spin on the fire tracks next weekend.

univega1.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

IMG_1256.jpg

IMG_1362.jpg

IMG_1365.jpg

IMG_1367.jpg

IMG_1373.jpg

IMG_1372.jpg

Looks good 👍🏻 what are the billy bonkers tyres like on the road . I’m want to buy a set but I’m also drawn towards the city jets as they are super smooth and quiet .

Looks good 👍🏻 what are the billy bonkers tyres like on the road . I’m want to buy a set but I’m also drawn towards the city jets as they are super smooth and quiet .
The Billy Bonkers are good on the road—they are sold as a tyre for jump bikes, after all—but not as smooth as the City Jets. However, I find they inspire more confidence on wet or frosty roads. It might be worth your while having the City Jets for hotter, drier weather and the Billy Bonkers for the rest. Or, (excuse for a new bike, alert!) because it's a pain changing tyres, have one bike with City Jets and one with Billy Bonkers.

The Billy Bonkers are good on the road—they are sold as a tyre for jump bikes, after all—but not as smooth as the City Jets. However, I find they inspire more confidence on wet or frosty roads. It might be worth your while having the City Jets for hotter, drier weather and the Billy Bonkers for the rest. Or, (excuse for a new bike, alert!) because it's a pain changing tyres, have one bike with City Jets and one with Billy Bonkers.
Thanks for the feedback. I have got a 2008 Carrera Vulcan disc with city jets and they are superb

I agree, I have had city jets in the past and I would rate the billy's higher. Minimal differences are outweighed by confidence and flexibility.

I agree, I have had city jets in the past and I would rate the billy's higher. Minimal differences are outweighed by confidence and flexibility.
If you were only going to ride on tarmac which would you choose . The Billy’s look the coolest 😄

The main downsides of the Billy Bonkers are (1) the stupid name in large lettering and (2) sidewalls as orange as Donald Trump's spray tan. Aside from that, they're nice tyres.

Back