86,87,88 Raleighs

The 89/90 range was short lived - also included a third version of the Ozark. The range was replaced with booze related names - White Lightning, Moonshine etc.. and then the Dynatechs appeared to replace the models at the higher end.

Here is a scan from the 1988 Raleigh Lightweight brochure showing two (then) 'new' MTBs. Reynolds 531 ATB tubeset for the Ozark, and 531 ATB tubeset and forks for the Avanti.

main.php

'orangeally' thats the fella. It had colour coded stem and white bars if I remember correctly, i was so jealous. Around that time i bought a Muddy Fox Pathfinder in green over black crackle paint, I wasn't so jealous then ;)

Those pics are the '88 models - but they were actually launched in '87. I've got an 87 Ozark, 88 Ozark (for sale) and an 87 Avanti (frame only).

Me on my White Lightning in 1991 or 1992 :LOL: sorry about the bad photo, I don't have a scanner. Dodgy leggings too!

4339198338_e3c0b05eb2.jpg

The frame was Reynolds 653 & lugged all round. It came with matching straight blade & tapered 653 forks - but here you can see I have Scott Unishocks on it. I bought it in 1990/91 as a frame only from the bike shop that was behind the covered market in Oxford. Apparently someone who worked there had bought it for the parts, stripped it and then was selling the frame.

My Dad still has the bike, but it has been resprayed as the original paint was very tatty.

Was a good bike, handled well, and was pretty light. It was also massive! All my cycling mates affectionately knew it as 'The Gate' :D

*edit*
You can't really see - but the colour fade was white to orange and then into luminous pink. They obviously liked the Clockwork paintscheme, and decided to go one further. My mates wished they hadn't, tho I rather liked it!

hiya guys, am I correct that the avanti and oxark are the maverick 18pro? I noticed difference on some frames with rear brakes. some are are on the or near the bottom bracket, great place to catch all the crap n brake fade. am I right as well the avanti is higher spec frame? I'm looking to buy one. I did have a thunder road, it had a rather nasty front fork on it. quite heavy

Back