8Freight Cargo bike - restoration / project

25/11/22

Got a couple of hours in on this tonight.

Update as follows;

1. I don't think the fork is the wrong way around now. There is a cable guide riveted onto the back-side of the fork, which would end up on the front-side if I rotated it

20221125_192753.jpg
2. I managed to get the front wheel off and removed the brake shoes. These need replacing - I have no idea what spec / size they are (I've never worked on drum brakes before) although I read somewhere that they are Sachs items. Research needed.

20221125_195328.jpg 20221125_200844.jpg 20221125_200858.jpg

3. Managed to get some of the water out :LOL:

20221125_213310.jpg

4. Rear wheel removed. A little stubborn and tricky (I had to drift the axle out gently). Brakes removed again for renewal.

20221125_214042.jpg 20221125_214053.jpg

Continued on next post.............

25/11/22 Continued.......

I also managed to get the cranks off (a non-matching crankset), the BB removed (then re-fitted temporarily) and the chain removed.

Cleaned a little bit and inspected the frame etc.

20221125_203956.jpg 20221125_193447.jpg 20221125_193626.jpg 20221125_193806.jpg 20221125_210107.jpg 20221125_210737.jpg 20221125_210743.jpg 20221125_210805.jpg

It's had some repairs and it's had a few "fixes" which I will look to improve upon.

The bike had clearly lived a hard life, and it's quite the project. But providing I can get the parts I need it should be ok.

I'll order the wheel bearings this week (3 x different sizes) and try to find some replacement brake shoes.

Cheers,

Joe

Congratulations on entering the mad world of Burrows (and 8 Freight) ownership :D

I have personally been using these for the last 12+ years so know a thing or two about them.... The company I work with were one of the first to use these full time for transport.

Yours is quite an early one (so Norwich built by his local welder!). You can tell by the basket structure and some of the little bits and pieces that are on this. The hydraulic stand fittings were faffy on the early ones but were simplified on later versions.

I'll vouch that the bike was returned to Mike at some time and those repairs were done by his welding man (in his words). The worst weak points are those sections on the basket structure.

Wheel bearings are 16002RS by the way for the rear but the fronts are different (I'll have to check the exact size). Despite the appearances at first glance quite a lot of bits are also available off the shelf.

The drum brakes are Sturmey Archer items and not Sachs. It's been a while since I checked but I think they are 70mm front and rear. There was a time that Mike fitted 90mm versions up front, but they were too powerful and kept tearing the spokes apart on the wheel! You'll need a single sided hub for the front but they are available (for racing wheelchairs and the like).

One that I bought was also full of water. It took two of us to flip the frame upside down and tip the water out of the seat tube :LOL:
They normally are pretty water tight though. I used a JD Tandem cover for mine when stored outside, that did the job.

The front monoblade is fine. Mike did tend to tweak these quite a lot so some were drive sided, others were on the non drive! Check the crown bonding on the steerer as this can deteriorate with age.

I might be able to supply quite a few spares as I have loads - including the chain tension roller, mudguard bits etc.. I also have one of these that I need to sell on with a written off frame but mostly good parts (long story), and a fibreglass cargo box designed to fit these. Shoot me a PM if you need to at any time.

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for the reply, I will need to pick your brains at some point for sure :cool:
Please do ;)

I think this one is yours by the way, from a thread done years ago... http://manchestercycling.blogspot.com/2010/07/8-freight.html

There was not too many of these made before the switch to overseas production and they are still a bit of a rare sight! I would estimate that there is maybe around 100 at the most? Looking forward to seeing how you get on with it!

Cheers :)

Yeh, I spotted that article as well and assumed it must be the same bike. There is a candid video of it being followed through Manchester somewhere as well, clearly local cyclists were a bit intrigued at the time.

Back