Advice Please

vtwinvince

Senior Retro Guru
I've been humming and hawing about the disposition of some of my bikes. One in particular is giving me trouble, a 1992 Scott Pro Racing which I got from the original owner some time ago. The problem is the frame is too small for me, but it's all original except for the front rim, which the OO wore out and replaced, but it's all early M900 XTR, including the post. Should I sell it as a complete bike, or loot the desirable parts and sell as a frameset?

You'll never make a frame that's too small work. If you want to build up a bike with the parts from the Scott, sell the frame and fork. If you want to make the most pennies, sell it all separately, but it's more hassle. If you feel bad breaking up a nearly original bike, sell it whole.

Sounds simple, but it never is.

I was in a similar situation with a beauty 91 univega team, brand new when I bought it for $40cad- full XT and Ritchey. I felt so bad stripping it, may have even shed a tear or two. Once the frame was out of site I stopped caring.

Join the cycle😉

Classic bike collector spend years and £££ building up a period- correct bike, then starts another project so sell it off cheap to someone who breaks it down to make a few quid, selling the parts to a classic bike collector who's building up a period- correct bike, who then starts another project.....

Sometimes there's an erosion of authenticity, but then again loads of interesting stuff gets scrapped or thrown away every day.

As long as everyone's happy😃

Join the cycle😉

Classic bike collector spend years and £££ building up a period- correct bike, then starts another project so sell it off cheap to someone who breaks it down to make a few quid, selling the parts to a classic bike collector who's building up a period- correct bike, who then starts another project.....

Sometimes there's an erosion of authenticity, but then again loads of interesting stuff gets scrapped or thrown away every day.

As long as everyone's happy😃
We are some of the world’s best recyclers!

Thanks for the feedback, I'm probably going the 'loot the XTR' route. Anyone have a rough idea what the frame and original fluorescent yellow fork (slightly faded) in above average condition might be worth?

I personally no longer worry about breaking up "catalogue" spec bikes for parts.

To start with, as said above, often the bikes components have been collected together to start with.

Secondly and more importantly, it means lots of other bikes will become a step closer to being complete and on the road....surely that's better than one, not used bike, in a shed.....

Raid it, sell what's left, enjoy.....all guilt free.

Back