Auction listings for xtr front derailleurs seem to be twice the money of rear ones? looking for a front one without a re mortage...

enigma

Retro Guru
So ive a groupset from a broken whyte prst of old, in amazing nick, going on an orange build..
When I bought the frame in covid, I thought use the bits from the dead whyte be a sensible money build etc..
However the front derailleur is a different size ( I want to keep it as I may want to put the groupset on the whyte I have now..)
So I purchased a new lx front derailleur the correct size thinking waste of money, similar looking etc..
on the bike it looks pants.. very different both satin grey ish but having spent money on surly forks, hope/mavic d521 wheelset etc its got a bit out of hand really! Now ive finally painted it and building it up..
I think I need the correct derailleur or it will always bug me.
So am I missing something or is this normal..? I don't have kit this posh normally now, and £65 upwards for a used front derailleur seems an awful lot when rear ones seem £35 up... on fleabay of course...
The one I need is 31.8 top pull FD-M953 xtr front derailleur for my 07 orange clockwork limited.
If its normal I will have to bite the bullet. If its steep / fleabay tax then I shall have to try and be patient...!

Cages on them wear very easy so that may be the reason, as well as the chrome being a bit rubbish. Simple case of supply vs demand. I’m in the same situation - I’ve got a bike almost completely built bar the M95? front mech which I have one but is the opposite of what I need.

These are perfectly normal symptoms you have sir.

First it starts in your mind as a bits and bobs lying about kind of build. Then you succumb to a dose of fleabay which implants a desire for matching componentry. You are then drawn into a downward spiral of seeing visions of NOS and rarely used which overcome all rational thought, sending you quite mad.

While a cure can be found by large amounts of cash spending, these actions are often result in side effects of guilt and secrecy from loved ones. You can temporarily relieve symptoms also by 'just walking away', but as you are now an addict there is no long term success here.

Cages on them wear very easy so that may be the reason, as well as the chrome being a bit rubbish. I’m in the same situation - I’ve got a bike almost completely built bar the M95? front mech which I have one but is the opposite of what I need.
Oh dear, well the xtr one is very light, but the cage looks like a standard chrome one, some of the secondhand stuff for lots of money looks awful like it washed up on the bloody beach! I will leave this here or do a wanted ad, see what happens whilst I do the rest, ive another bike to build, and another frame to paint so not really desperate, ive others too ride but this one has waited patiently for several years....!

These are perfectly normal symptoms you have sir.

First it starts in your mind as a bits and bobs lying about kind of build. Then you succumb to a dose of fleabay which implants a desire for matching componentry. You are then drawn into a downward spiral of seeing visions of NOS and rarely used which overcome all rational thought, sending you quite mad.

While a cure can be found by large amounts of cash spending, these actions are often result in side effects of guilt and secrecy from loved ones. You can temporarily relieve symptoms also by 'just walking away', but as you are now an addict there is no long term success here.
Essentially all true... its not cost me crazy money this bike, given its all Hope / xtr... but more than I had in mind, but this forum is to blame..
I paint my own frames etc, and I enjoy building , just wish I could get more riding in, my other half gave up, but no denying her logic on why i ride relatively little for a bloke with 9 bikes...!

Put a wanted ad up, quite rare but someone may have one spare, and should be a bit cheaper than that.

Put a wanted ad up, quite rare but someone may have one spare, and should be a bit cheaper than that.
Agh thankyou , not gone down the wanted ad route before as the forum has often enough thrown up the goods before ive built the bike! Will do ta.

Back