BoTM Bike of the month October 2023 - now taking entries

Bike of The Month
I’ve read the rules. It says you can’t enter the same bike twice.

I’m simply saying it’s not the same bike. It’s not like I’ve just changed the colour of the Barends.

It’s substantially and materially different in most key aspects. It’s not the same bike.

If ALL other components have been changed from the last entry, I'd say give it a go. Then there's no need specifying how many % must be changed. This would also allow also a new owner of a frame (if sold) to build his/her own expression of the bike.
Forks, saddle, Seatpost, bar ends, wheels, tyres, stem, cassette…from memory.

I absolute see the point being made, I really do, however if you make a list of the parts changed alongside a list of the parts retained it might put things into perspective. The knock on effect of setting such a precedent would be monthly arguments with people over what constitutes a bike’s eligibility. That’s the can of worms I mentioned previously.
Let’s just say we’re exercising rule 13 on this occasion.

If ALL other components have been changed from the last entry, I'd say give it a go. Then there's no need specifying how many % must be changed. This would also allow also a new owner of a frame (if sold) to build his/her own expression of the bike.

It's a different owner, so obviously allowed.

There's a special mafia swapping and trading frames and entering them again; I think it's called Retrobike. ;)

I don't think I've entered this so;

MSYT - 1992 Schwinn Series 90 PDG

599629-48f472014d5ee6bff9f8d83be891b682.jpg

Attachments

• 599630-8407947792b4ffffe3110f660cb358a2.jpg
    599630-8407947792b4ffffe3110f660cb358a2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 14
I absolute see the point being made, I really do, however if you make a list of the parts changed alongside a list of the parts retained it might put things into perspective. The knock on effect of setting such a precedent would be monthly arguments with people over what constitutes a bike’s eligibility. That’s the can of worms I mentioned previously.
Let’s just say we’re exercising rule 13 on this occasion.
I don’t think it’s a can of worms. I think it’s reasonable if it’s materially different. So that it’s not the same bike.

You still have the right to decide.

In this case it’s clearly not the same bike; so saying that you can’t enter a bike if it’s materially different I feel goes against the fine recycling and reusing ethos that underpins this fine community.

Ultimately if people feel it’s the same bike they they don’t have to vote.

I’m just asking for a sense of pragmatism.

Back