BoTM Bike of The Month October 2023 - Time to vote

Bike of The Month

Pick your winner

• Carge's 1991 Bontrager Race

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • Slackboys 1991 GT Zaskar

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Siish’ weird estay thing (Suspected British Eagle Boss)

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • synlos' 1989 Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • PhillB's 1991 GT Team Avalanche Midnight Aurora

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Jourian's 1987 Koga Miyata RidgeRunner

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • MSYT’s 1992 Schwinn Series 90 PDG

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • wicket’s 1992 Alpinestars cro-mega dx

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Racecarjohnny’s 1991 Mountain Goat Route 66

Votes: 7 5.3%
  • Jam_SWorks’ 1996/97 Bianchi XL Mega Pro – Titanium

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • Deanphoto’s 1993 GT Team RTS

Votes: 16 12.1%
  • Jimmy Oldskool’s 1997 Breezer Lightning

Votes: 12 9.1%
  • Quebulas' 1989 Peugeot Anaconda

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Guigui58’s 1993 Kona Explosif

Votes: 15 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm sure there might have been one or two NOS/Minty white tyres on BotM entries over the years that have never been remotely near being ridden.
I've ridden the Bonty with modern tyres on it - but for BotM, I felt proper retro IRCs were the way it should be presented.

I pictured it as I ride it...I don't have the time or inclination to swap tyres around just to photograph it, to then swap back when I ride it...It was literally fresh out of the stand, I was excited and is hardly a catalogue build anyway...What it is (IMO) is a lovely, well built example of a desirable retro bike....That rides AMAZINGLY as it is, thanks to the components and tyres that are fitted...Sue me! 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️😘

...Still love you all...👊

I pictured it as I ride it...I don't have the time or inclination to swap tyres around just to photograph it, to then swap back when I ride it...It was literally fresh out of the stand, I was excited and is hardly a catalogue build anyway...What it is (IMO) is a lovely, well built example of a desirable retro bike....That rides AMAZINGLY as it is, thanks to the components and tyres that are fitted...Sue me! 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️😘

Jimmy, my comment wasn't aimed at your bike, it was my thought in general. However, I did narrow my vote down to your entry but I just couldn't do it with my opinion such as it is.

I like that everyone has their own criteria, when it comes to picking a winner, and I'm always interested to hear others' thoughts. It makes the vote interesting and means it's hard to guess which bike will come out on top.

Jimmy, my comment wasn't aimed at your bike, it was my thought in general. However, I did narrow my vote down to your entry but I just couldn't do it with my opinion such as it is.

That's fine mate, honestly...Pleased you like it 👊 (My Zaskar has the same tyres...So you're going to HATE that!!) 🤣

...The annoying thing is I have about 4 pairs of tan wall Smoke/Dart combos in the loft! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I like that everyone has their own criteria, when it comes to picking a winner, and I'm always interested to hear others' thoughts. It makes the vote interesting and means it's hard to guess which bike will come out on top.
I like this aspect too.
I know some people take the actual photograph into consideration for example, or the location of the picture, I don't care at all about that, I'm voting for the bike. But if that's part of your criteria then that's fair enough. 👍 😁

Personally I have two main things that put me off voting for a bike;
- Tyres (anything of the era should generally be used IMO)
- The type of pedals fitted - I can't abide an otherwise elegant build if it is shod with some great big modern flat pedals!

They you go, you've all been warned 🤪

Mr Oldschool, I lean in the opposite direction of the"period tire" crowd. I'd rather see a rider on useful tires than a wall hanger on cracked old rubber. My vote is based on the bike, not a formula decided thirty years ago. If everyone followed the same pattern, we'd basically all be building the same bike and the contest would stagnate. Thanks for keeping it fresh

Back