Bikeability - anyone here do it

AR-CoolC

Retrobike Rider
Hi All

I've just sent off a request to the local council about becoming a bikeability volunteer.

I've seen a few threads on here in the past about it, so would like to ask what is involved, how many days/weeks commitment are required, that sort of thing.

Cheers

being an actual cycle profficiency officer thingie i suggest yo ask them directly...there is a bikeability guy on here as well but hes in suffolk...i teach schools all the time and from what ive seen its a great thing to want to do...i dont know how they run there sessions other than they last all day .it also depends on the schools as well.you will need the patience of a god,crb checking and proper training in respect of working with children too as its an iffy job in relation to who you work with.i desperatly need help with mine as helpers are like gold dust.im sickof cancelling lessons because of being let down by not getting help.wish you lived here....

that will be me then :LOL:

its the best job in the world. pays well if you set up as a sole trader. you will need another instructor to help you on road sessions though. depends on who is providing the instructor training, but expect to pay £500 for a four day course. some councils will let you pay back the money through free work though, probably about 8-10 days work. there are only about 12 ito's, instructor training organizations, in the country so be prepared for a bit of travel. oh and bikeability funding is only guaranteed for the end of the current parliament so may not be a long term prospect

as gibble says patience is key as the little darlings will want to ride every where and in reality there isn't as much riding as you would like to do due to time and numbers restraints.

oh and you will probably only get work 6-8 months a year, feb to end of sept typically, and generally none during school holidays. so best to have another job for the off period.

think thats about it.

Thanks for the replies. I've asked the same questions of hte local council bod who deals with it. I'm just waiting to here back.

With regard to the lack of assistants, that's sort of what made me look at it. I now work from home and my boss is very accomadating about working flex hours, so it might just work out.

The only issue may be that I work away on a reasonably regular basis so would need a lot of notice about dates the schools were running the courses.

Lets see what comes back from them.

most schools will have their dates sorted a year in advance if they have run a course before so should be ok. courses generally run 10-12 and 1-3 although i normally get to the school around 9 ish just to check out routes and wot not.

My Local Authority (DOrset) also runs sessions in the holidays and half terms via their sports centres.

i on the other hand get to do my lessons in the afternoon.gives us council fellas a lay in ..hes right on the hours..holidays can be a pain but i do lessons and tests then so its not so bad for me.i also stagger my travelling costs to be paid then too.it took six months of on site to get a good idea of what its like to work with monsters....if you are away a lot then perhaps it may get in the way of the bike thing.schools dont like changing timetables at all so i try not to be in a position to cause problems like that.

oh just one more thing....schools secrataries are the spawn of the devil sometimes.....

some are very cute too.

Back