BoTM BoTM May 2022 nominations - Kona Special, dedicated to the memory of @pipmeister

Bike of The Month
I heard the news about Pip last week, and it hit me pretty hard. His work here on this site was the reason I got into vintage mountain biking, and bought my first vintage Kona. Now, Kona is my favorite, and I collect them, holding only a little bit of the knowledge and memorabilia that I know Phillip had.

I can't wait to see all of the entries, and I'm planning on entering my own! I think my Cinder Cone is the only eligible one in my collection at the moment, unless you guys think my Humu is OK. I'll wait to see what y'all think before I officially submit my entry.

Last edited:
I think my Cinder Cone is the only eligible one in my collection at the moment, unless you guys think my Humu is OK. I'll wait to see what y'all think before I officially submit my entry.
I think the Humu is fine, as long as it fits the age requirement. I certainly prefer the frame, the uniqueness in the lineup, and rarity might earn it an edge over Cindy.

I think the Humu is fine, as long as it fits the age requirement. I certainly prefer the frame, the uniqueness in the lineup, and rarity might earn it an edge over Cindy.
I thought about it, and I think I'm going to keep my Humu waiting in the wings for a potential future klunker/cruiser month, just in case.

So today, I dusted Cindy off, put some different shoes and jewelry on, and went for a ride. I forgot how precise this bike feels! I'll be updating my build thread soon, then posting my BOTM entry here.

Back