Box fresh raleigh marauder pure hens teeth material

Leave it in the box....... place the box somewhere out of the way, like a dark cellar...... forget about the box being there......

Re:

Christmas either 1990 or 1991 I can’t quite remember.

I can definitely remember the disappointment I hid from my Mum when the last present to be opened turned out to be a Raleigh Marauder. I soon removed all of the decals and polished that turd over the next few years, new wheels and qr hubs, Tioga Psychos, Exage cantis. It was still smelly when I finished.

The best thing about it was getting the Raleigh multi-spanner thing so I could take it apart.

A few years later a near perfect MTrax 1000 turned up at the local auction minus it’s wheels, £30 and the upgraded wheels from the Marauder and I had my first proper mountain bike.

Re:

I actually feel a pang of nostalgia coming on!

Obviously not the best of bike designs..but they did serve a purpose as they inspired a generation of kids to move onto a proper MTB. I like that its got the tool kit still, complete with bendy allen key.

A mate of mine at school dumped his blue (non index) Marauder in the local river for the insurance money, moved on to a Scott Montana. Chalk and Cheese :D

One of many of my Raleigh collection, really like the one owner m-trax I got last week

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200816-233629_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20200816-233629_WhatsApp.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 566
Re:

I like the MTrax!

The MTrax I got after the Marauder provided fonder memories for me and served me well for many miles/years so much so I bought an identical one a few years back.

It still didn’t seem a patch on my mate’s Marin Bear Valley he had at the time.

The “decent” brands sold by bike shops in my area as a teenager were Marin, GT and Nigel Dean. The nearest John Lewis department store used to have the full Muddy Fox line up in the sports department from about 1990. Those were the bikes I lusted after the Christmas that Mum had gone to the non-cool Raleigh dealer for the Marauder!

Back