Can I convert my Alpinestars to single speed hollowtech

Falkster

Devout Dirtbag
Hi all - it’s been a while since I posted and the build hasn’t progressed due to a back injury. I’m hoping to get cracking soon.
Can I convert my 1992 Alpinestars Cro mega DX to a single ring hollowtech and if so what do I need?

Should be fine.

Parts list

Hollow tech cranks for 68/73 shell eg XT - 32/34 front ring on middle fixing
Hope or shimano bb
Gusset or Dmr single speed kit
Dmr chain tensioner.

Done

2manyoranges":11qm05y8 said:
Should be fine.

Parts list

Hollow tech cranks for 68/73 shell eg XT - 32/34 front ring on middle fixing
Hope or shimano bb
Gusset or Dmr single speed kit
Dmr chain tensioner.

Done

Cheers for the reply - sorry I meant single speed front rather than the 3 it currently has. Would you parts be the same minus the gusset?
Could I have more gears at the back than it had before (:cool:?
Cheers
Chris

Ye, just buy the chainset with a single ring, with the usual HTII bottom bracket cups.
Fit them, remove front mech and shifters.

At the rear, you'll need cassette and shifter for more gears, 9 is easy, 10 should be ok too.
For the rear mech, look at the clutch style mechs to help stay on a it better.

Yes, re single front ring - you need a narrow-wide chain ring (Hope, Black Spire, etc) and mount the ring on the middle 104 mount, or get a single or double HollowTech rather than triple. Consider a small chain device - 15:00 on eBay, with a bb circular mount rather than ISG 05 bolt on since you don't have the mounts. If bb is 68 then the chain device replaces one of the two spacers on the drive side. If 73 then it replaces the single spacer which should be on the drive side.

Increasing the rear a bit more tricky. Check you have 135 spacing between dropouts. You can go to 10 from 8 without rebuilding the rear wheel - should be fine since the freehubs are the same 8 9 10. And you'll need a new mech and shifter of course.

So...list of parts

HollowTech cranks - e.g. XT double or single - lots on Pinkbike
32ish narrow-wide chainring - e.g. Hope
Small chain device with bb mount
New rear mech - eg XT
New cassette
New narrow chain
New shifter

OP... if you're interested I've got a 1x10 drive train I was going to put up some time this week alas I've put the XT cranks on another bike

XT shifter
XTmech with the ONE UP RAD cage, and Ceramic jockeys,
SRAM PG1070 with ONE UP 42 ring making it 11-42t
and a Race Face 34 narrow wide

I was thinking of something like £60 for the lot shipped?

simdagger":jzn9gep8 said:
OP... if you're interested I've got a 1x10 drive train I was going to put up some time this week alas I've put the XT cranks on another bike

XT shifter
XTmech with the ONE UP RAD cage, and Ceramic jockeys,
SRAM PG1070 with ONE UP 42 ring making it 11-42t
and a Race Face 34 narrow wide

I was thinking of something like £60 for the lot shipped?

Awesome!! Is that all I’d need?

DM me your PayPal and I’ll send you the money straight away.
Thanks mate

simdagger":2hj9lc03 said:
Easy tiger! You will still need a Crank and a BB.

here's the photos...I thought I had a shifter lying around, but I do have one lying around unused on another bike.

https://imgur.com/gallery/P5ju4dd

Sorry mate I haven’t had anything to do with mountain bikes since about 1995 so some of the words you said were like a foreign language to me :)
The BB is getting fitted as we speak but I’ll need to find a suitable crank.

IF you have a bb getting fitted, than you already have a crank ? otherwise you wouldn't normal fit a BB without knowong the type of cranks.

So use your current crank, take of the rings and fit a single ring (for single ring setup, i.e. non-ramped or profiled) and use that for now.
You may need a different crank bolts or use some spacers (or fit a bash ring or grind an old ring down to act as one. Many options.

Back