Cannondale F700 build and jib vids

Private_Repress

Old School Hero
A cannondale in blue and yellow with a headshok was a bit of a dream bike when I was starting trials biking in the late 90s (albeit a smaller version of the frame!). That said I turn 37 next week and have an army of trials bikes, so having been to see Martyn Ashton do a talk about his career, it reignited my want for an old cannondale. But one that I could take for rip on some local routes.

I was lucky enough to have an ashton beast of the east way back when which I massively regret letting go. We’ve all been there eh!

A bit of eBaying and I found a seemingly good example in XL that looked fairly original from the photos:

IMG_9730.jpeg

The main issue was it was in London, I live in Nottingham and posting wasn’t an option.

So after work one night I decided a road trip was in order. I knew immediately that stem was going to feel awful for the more upright riding position I’ve become used to. The stars kind of aligned, I managed to find a 90mm more modern version in the relatively rare 1.56 inch steerer tube. And to top it off, it was also in London, 15 minutes from where I would collect the bike. The stem is a bit high on rise but needs must until something lower becomes available.

Upon collecting the bike, it was immediately obvious it was completely original. Even down to the Hutchison mosquito tyres. I was blown away by how good condition it was in. Even the Julie brakes were sharp, surprisingly so!

That said my intention was always to tweak the bike with components that were up for a bit more ‘abuse’. I still like the odd bit of trials when out on the trails.

Fast forward to today….

IMG_0090.jpeg

I’ve changed almost every part 🤦🏻‍♂️

It’s almost in its final form. As mentioned, I’d love a lower stem, possibly shorter. Bits I’ve changed:

Wheels: WTB i23 rims, which I built onto hope pro 2 hubs. Relatively light weight and super reliable.

Tyres: originally I had billy bonkers, but they were awful on mud. These are made by baldys. A budget brand but my goodness are they an improvement. Really impressed with them. And they have a little bit of a retro look.

Brakes: keeping the magura theme going, I used a set MT Trails, running them the opposite way around though, 2 pot on front and 4 pot at the rear (once a trials biker… always a trials biker).

Running gear: Shimano deore 10 speed shifter, clutch mech and cassette: 42-11t. Chain is a KMC, which I absolutely swear by having tried many chains over the years and put them through hell.

Cranks: RaceFace turbine LP cranks, with a blackspire snaggle tooth 36t NW ring. I did run some polished middleburns with a beautiful Medium chainring, but they are far too ‘blingy’ for this build and looked so out of place. I have another use for them 😉

Pedals: some cheap but cheerful plastic ones from Ali express. They are temporary whilst I rebuild some DMR vaults (Brendog signatures)

Bars: my least favourite bit, nuke proof bars with a horrible profile, they feel okay, but I’d like some thing with a bit more rise (2.5inch), preferably a glossy black finish for when I replace the stem…again.

Seat: coda 700 (selle italia) to replace the cannondale saddle that came on it. The yellow logos were much needed.

Having been out on a few local rides, I’ve fallen in love with it. The long top tube and shorter stem makes for a modern feeling bike with your weight planted quite centrally.

I’ve been riding it on routes that I would have previously ridden a 2015 cannondale trigger full susser. It’s nailed them, and made it much more fun in the process. I also left my mates behind on this… which I haven’t done for a while. The perfect bike for such rides.

The headshok has really taken me by surprise, this one has 80mm travel, works well and exceptional over small bumps due to the no stiction design with needle bearings. I’m sure my view will change when it comes to servicing it though 😬

As always with my builds… sorry to the purists!

Last edited:
Nice one. If (when) you´ll be replacing the current stem (90mm with some rise), pls drop me a PM if you want to sell it. I´m desperately in need for a stem like that 😉. Am currently using a Reverse Components 60mm stem (which is much better then the original long&low headshok stem) but it´s a tad too short for my liking...😀

Nice one. If (when) you´ll be replacing the current stem (90mm with some rise), pls drop me a PM if you want to sell it. I´m desperately in need for a stem like that 😉. Am currently using a Reverse Components 60mm stem (which is much better then the original long&low headshok stem) but it´s a tad too short for my liking...😀
Would you like to swap? I’d sooner have one of those! If so PM me your details 👍🏻

Another picture, a few bits changed:

IMG_0716.jpeg

Lower rise 90mm hope stem, soon to be replaced with a reverse components.

BLB riser bars

Hope tech enduro rims on pro 4 hubs.

Seatpost, again temporary, I’d like a straight post, but this one will do for now. I’ll we how I get on with the 60mm reverse stem first.

A cannondale in blue and yellow with a headshok was a bit of a dream bike when I was starting trials biking in the late 90s (albeit a smaller version of the frame!). That said I turn 37 next week and have an army of trials bikes, so having been to see Martyn Ashton do a talk about his career, it reignited my want for an old cannondale. But one that I could take for rip on some local routes.

I was lucky enough to have an ashton beast of the east way back when which I massively regret letting go. We’ve all been there eh!

A bit of eBaying and I found a seemingly good example in XL that looked fairly original from the photos:

View attachment 799904

The main issue was it was in London, I live in Nottingham and posting wasn’t an option.

So after work one night I decided a road trip was in order. I knew immediately that stem was going to feel awful for the more upright riding position I’ve become used to. The stars kind of aligned, I managed to find a 90mm more modern version in the relatively rare 1.56 inch steerer tube. And to top it off, it was also in London, 15 minutes from where I would collect the bike. The stem is a bit high on rise but needs must until something lower becomes available.

Upon collecting the bike, it was immediately obvious it was completely original. Even down to the Hutchison mosquito tyres. I was blown away by how good condition it was in. Even the Julie brakes were sharp, surprisingly so!

That said my intention was always to tweak the bike with components that were up for a bit more ‘abuse’. I still like the odd bit of trials when out on the trails.

Fast forward to today….

View attachment 799912

I’ve changed almost every part 🤦🏻‍♂️

It’s almost in its final form. As mentioned, I’d love a lower stem, possibly shorter. Bits I’ve changed:

Wheels: WTB i23 rims, which I built onto hope pro 2 hubs. Relatively light weight and super reliable.

Tyres: originally I had billy bonkers, but they were awful on mud. These are made by baldys. A budget brand but my goodness are they an improvement. Really impressed with them. And they have a little bit of a retro look.

Brakes: keeping the magura theme going, I used a set MT Trails, running them the opposite way around though, 2 pot on front and 4 pot at the rear (once a trials biker… always a trials biker).

Running gear: Shimano deore 10 speed shifter, clutch mech and cassette: 42-11t. Chain is a KMC, which I absolutely swear by having tried many chains over the years and put them through hell.

Cranks: RaceFace turbine LP cranks, with a blackspire snaggle tooth 36t NW ring. I did run some polished middleburns with a beautiful Medium chainring, but they are far too ‘blingy’ for this build and looked so out of place. I have another use for them 😉

Pedals: some cheap but cheerful plastic ones from Ali express. They are temporary whilst I rebuild some DMR vaults (Brendog signatures)

Bars: my least favourite bit, nuke proof bars with a horrible profile, they feel okay, but I’d like some thing with a bit more rise (2.5inch), preferably a glossy black finish for when I replace the stem…again.

Seat: coda 700 (selle italia) to replace the cannondale saddle that came on it. The yellow logos were much needed.

Having been out on a few local rides, I’ve fallen in love with it. The long top tube and shorter stem makes for a modern feeling bike with your weight planted quite centrally.

I’ve been riding it on routes that I would have previously ridden a 2015 cannondale trigger full susser. It’s nailed them, and made it much more fun in the process. I also left my mates behind on this… which I haven’t done for a while. The perfect bike for such rides.

The headshok has really taken me by surprise, this one has 80mm travel, works well and exceptional over small bumps due to the no stiction design with needle bearings. I’m sure my view will change when it comes to servicing it though 😬

As always with my builds… sorry to the purists!
brilliant build mate, I did a similar 1x conversion to an F900 summertime last year, will attach a pic at some point

brilliant build mate, I did a similar 1x conversion to an F900 summertime last year, will attach a pic at some point
Thanks mate, you know your cannondales, so I’m sure you’ll relate when I say they actually feel surprisingly good by today’s geometry standards. The super long top tube on this with a short stem makes it feel really balanced. I did a local ride tonight, from the outskirts of Nottingham into the city centre. Naturally I made it as much of an urban free ride as possible… blasting down steps and over as many obstacles as I could (with a high fixed seat). I even managed to pretend to be Martyn Ashton hopping the bike over some steping stones of a lake haha. Dropper post on the cards…

I should mention that I’m now running a 60mm stem which has helped me get the bike feeling bang on. Super responsive and quite a centred upright riding position. A huge thanks to @oligali for the stem swap, we both took a gamble posting between the UK and where Oliver is based - Croatia! We got hit with customs taxes which is a pain, but we both now have cannondales that feel much more comfortable as a result. An absolute top guy, who I’ve very much enjoyed chatting bikes to on WhatsApp.

@ExpertBlay look forward to seeing the F900 👊🏻

So we´re expecting to see some pictures of the new setup soon? And the thanks go two ways, it was a pleasure swapping stems with you 😀, however strange that may sound 🤔 . And it just proves how great of a place this site & forum is...

Thanks mate, you know your cannondales, so I’m sure you’ll relate when I say they actually feel surprisingly good by today’s geometry standards. The super long top tube on this with a short stem makes it feel really balanced. I did a local ride tonight, from the outskirts of Nottingham into the city centre. Naturally I made it as much of an urban free ride as possible… blasting down steps and over as many obstacles as I could (with a high fixed seat). I even managed to pretend to be Martyn Ashton hopping the bike over some steping stones of a lake haha. Dropper post on the cards…

I should mention that I’m now running a 60mm stem which has helped me get the bike feeling bang on. Super responsive and quite a centred upright riding position. A huge thanks to @oligali for the stem swap, we both took a gamble posting between the UK and where Oliver is based - Croatia! We got hit with customs taxes which is a pain, but we both now have cannondales that feel much more comfortable as a result. An absolute top guy, who I’ve very much enjoyed chatting bikes to on WhatsApp.

@ExpertBlay look forward to seeing the F900 👊🏻
Here bud:

Not the greatest pics but it was decent.

Attachments

• IMG_1059.jpeg
    IMG_1059.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1058.jpeg
    IMG_1058.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1054.jpeg
    IMG_1054.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
Here bud:

Not the greatest pics but it was decent.
Very nice indeed! Would love a straight Thomson seatpost for mine. The yellow fire xc’s look great. Very reminiscent of Ashtons with his front yellow Hutchinson. I have toyed with the idea of doing a full blown trials build on a smaller frame. That would have been ideal!

So we´re expecting to see some pictures of the new setup soon? And the thanks go two ways, it was a pleasure swapping stems with you 😀, however strange that may sound 🤔 . And it just proves how great of a place this site & forum is...
pictures to follow once I’ve given it a good clean!

Back