What do I do now? The ultimate conundrum.

IWish

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I hope you'll forgive the confusing title if your here.

I've spent the last 4 years on a build I've not ridden, not all retro but a dream build if you like.

Bought as a full bike, never ridden and stripped and slowly rebuilt it too be what I would call perfect. But what do I do now?

This is the first time I've built something I'd consider perfect and now my brain isn't sure I should ride it.

What if it's not worth the hype I've made in my head, what if I hate it or break it, it's all frustrating me a bit.

I've built alot of bikes in the past and ridden every single one of them with no questions asked, from cheap too full mint m900 fats, this is the first time I've gotten into this position.

Do I suck it up and ride it, do I keep it as art, do I just sell and move on too something else.

Also worth considering is the immense difficulty of replacing some of the components fitted.

On a side note, I hope my next build comes soon because then I won't need to worry about this one anymore 😅

I guess if you sell it you will lose money so probably not the best option. All that work for nothing, that would be your biggest regret.

Not quite so special, just a Zaskar 😅 I'll post photos tomorrow when it's more light and I can get some vanity shots.

I don't think I'll lose money though, somehow...

Attachments

• 20240421_200946.jpg
    20240421_200946.jpg
    526.6 KB · Views: 50
I hope you'll forgive the confusing title if your here.

I've spent the last 4 years on a build I've not ridden, not all retro but a dream build if you like.

Bought as a full bike, never ridden and stripped and slowly rebuilt it too be what I would call perfect. But what do I do now?

This is the first time I've built something I'd consider perfect and now my brain isn't sure I should ride it.

What if it's not worth the hype I've made in my head, what if I hate it or break it, it's all frustrating me a bit.

I've built alot of bikes in the past and ridden every single one of them with no questions asked, from cheap too full mint m900 fats, this is the first time I've gotten into this position.

Do I suck it up and ride it, do I keep it as art, do I just sell and move on too something else.

Also worth considering is the immense difficulty of replacing some of the components fitted.

On a side note, I hope my next build comes soon because then I won't need to worry about this one anymore 😅
I think a lot of us in this forum have been there, I certainly have. I started a build (picture attached) in / when I bought the complete original bike in 2018, I think I finished it in 2022. I have not rode it yet. I started a new build (MTB) in December 2023, this needs more work regarding some paint work which is frustrating me at the moment, but I will get there. Regarding cost on that 2018 build I know I will never get my money back, its a mix off old and new parts (mostly new), but that was what I wanted. I think its the overall joy and accomplishment when finished, but there is also (for me) a low of when finished with all the long hours of work, searching for parts etc. What am saying is I get where you are coming from. Having a project is fun - thats the way I look at it now. Best wishes, Stephan.

Attachments

• Eight M800.JPG
    Eight M800.JPG
    528.4 KB · Views: 18
Rewind to the reason you bought the bike and spent so much time, effort and undoubtedly money building it up to how you wanted it to be. Was it to ride or was it just because you could, and had a vision for how to spec up a bike to look pretty?

You won't do any harm riding it, so why not at least one ride. You never know, you might like it. If not, you know what to do as you are already thinking about it.

Rewind to the reason you bought the bike and spent so much time, effort and undoubtedly money building it up to how you wanted it to be. Was it to ride or was it just because you could, and had a vision for how to spec up a bike to look pretty?

You won't do any harm riding it, so why not at least one ride. You never know, you might like it. If not, you know what to do as you are already thinking about it.
@ishaw that is a great point "Rewind to the reason you bought the bike" the current build am doing is to reflect and reminisce on a special bike from the past that meant a lot to me thirty years ago. I guess we all have a reason an a specific build/bike to start of a project off.

Back