Chas Roberts model info

Thorny cyclist

Retro Newbie
Hi
I'm new here. (great site) I'm new to touring cycling too. I'm planning a trip through France to Spain with some camping thrown in, so would be lugging about 20+ kilos
I need some information about a Chas Roberts bike I'm considering buying. Seller isn't sure of model. It's an 18" touring bike. Rims are Mavic x517sup...don't know about hubs. I think it could be from around 1997. I'm more interested in the frame than the components as I'd like to use it as a start for a tourer that i can build. It looks similar to a Roberts Roughstuff, but not sure that it is. Any ideas? Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240428_091928_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240428_091928_eBay.jpg
    547.1 KB · Views: 18
Here are some more pics

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240428_094509_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240428_094509_eBay.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20240428_094456_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240428_094456_eBay.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20240428_094416_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240428_094416_eBay.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20240428_094326_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240428_094326_eBay.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 11
Hi
I'm new here. (great site) I'm new to touring cycling too. I'm planning a trip through France to Spain with some camping thrown in, so would be lugging about 20+ kilos
I need some information about a Chas Roberts bike I'm considering buying. Seller isn't sure of model. It's an 18" touring bike. Rims are Mavic x517sup...don't know about hubs. I think it could be from around 1997. I'm more interested in the frame than the components as I'd like to use it as a start for a tourer that i can build. It looks similar to a Roberts Roughstuff, but not sure that it is. Any ideas? Thanks
very nice bike, looks like a Roughstuff to me, but they built a lot of custom bikes that may not match exactly the catalogue models. One thing is certain, it'll be a light, comfortable and robust frameset that will make for a great touring or adventure bike.

very nice bike, looks like a Roughstuff to me, but they built a lot of custom bikes that may not match exactly the catalogue models. One thing is certain, it'll be a light, comfortable and robust frameset that will make for a great touring or adventure bike.
Thanks. It may well be a custom build. Looks like the name "Sandra" on the top tube... could she have been the first owner? I'm a male, 82kg 5"11 with a 32" inside leg. It's an hours drive from me so I'll get down there to see if it fits...if it does you can call me Sandra 😉

Thanks. It may well be a custom build. Looks like the name "Sandra" on the top tube... could she have been the first owner? I'm a male, 82kg 5"11 with a 32" inside leg. It's an hours drive from me so I'll get down there to see if it fits...if it does you can call me Sandra 😉
It might be that the bikes name is Sandra : )

Looks like the Roughstuff, same colour/specs, they were made from Columbus Nivacrom tubesets. Though like above can be custom made also.

I've just been given the full measurements of the bike....suitable for someone much shorter than me, so sadly not to be. It is a custom built bicycle...for a lady called Sandra...although very similar to the Roughstuff model. Such a shame as I'd have loved to get hold of a Roughstuff or similar to build up as a long distance tourer. I'll be on the look-out for one still, so if anyone knows of a large size let me know. Thanks

I've just been given the full measurements of the bike....suitable for someone much shorter than me, so sadly not to be. It is a custom built bicycle...for a lady called Sandra...although very similar to the Roughstuff model. Such a shame as I'd have loved to get hold of a Roughstuff or similar to build up as a long distance tourer. I'll be on the look-out for one still, so if anyone knows of a large size let me know. Thanks
Better to find out before you shelled out. These bikes do come up for sale from time to time.

Back