Colnago Master Gilco '96

bikeworkshop

Senior Retro Guru
20240512_123843.jpg Mid 90s colnago, the very end of quality steel race bikes - built to ride nicely all day, built before race radio, team and rider micromanagement and marginal gains started to eat into the personalities on the road.

This frame has every known colour in the universe on it, and a few unknown ones🤯 i followed this idea, and the cinelli arte stem, with some "oilslick" style parts - to make what i call
🥰theworldsmostbeautifulbike🥰

continental framesets of this period were frequently garish, so that's what I was after.

I've built this with the idea of the aero aluminium look popular at the time...
campagnolo Shamal wheels, monoplanar calipers,
mavic starfish chainset, (conveniently adapted to "compact"😉)

8 speed ergos with the beloved frictionish front change and 27t rear sprocket. Solid gear change, with a gear able to get a mature rider up a 20⁰ slope, of which there are plenty round here.

Its a lot.. but fair play for committing to the theme! :D Its what that stripy Grammo was made for! Matched cages and a downward tweak on the bar angle would be my only changes.

Did you drill the outer chainring to fit the Starfish bolt pattern?

Last edited:
Its a lot.. but fair play for committing to the theme! :D Its what that stripy Grammo was made for! Matched cages and a downward tweak on the bar angle would be my only changes.

The oilslick cage came in on a more inappropriate bike, but I needed 2 for a 90 mile ride🙄
That reminds me though to look out a match for no1👍
(Top of the bars are in fact flat, but that camera angle and the turn of the front wheel make it look like it's rising)

Back