Controversial: show us your cargo bikes

Here's what my bike looks like naked!

Cargo1.jpg

This is what I did at lunchtime. Those 4 bolt heads below used to be 8mm plain holes. I drilled and tapped them them to take an M10 helicoil insert to make it easier to take the box and/or baseplate on and off. I won't show a pic of my Helicoil insertion effort, ashamed to say I only got one of them right. I tried to judge getting two short inserts one on top of another. Got one spot on, two of them proud and one a bit too deep. Probably won't actually affect function but I'm not happy with them so I'll take them all out and re-do them, probably with correct length inserts to start with...

Cargo2.jpg

Last edited:
After the less than ideal week with rain, snow and sunshine it was good to have the day live up to the forecast with bright sunshine and little wind for once. Not all great news as the forecast was also for rain and sleet in the evening. So after a quick trip to town for work this morning I headed out just before 12. Plan was to drive out towards Loch More and head south on the eastern side of the Altnabreac loop but instead of turning west at the old Dalnawillan graveyard I headed south on the rapidly deteriorating dirt road. Went from the flow country up into the hillier country before stopping to make a brew and eat my sandwiches. The road which had been wet clay for the last few miles was getting wetter and more slushy as I went, the increasing wind from the high hills was very cold still and seen as how it had gone 4pm I decided to start heading back. A great day out and yes, I may have been quicker on the Pugsley or Mercian but this was a recce for a camping trip so I rode the Bullitt. A nice relaxing ride and I was carrying quite a lot of stuff to weigh it down.
Hope others had nice weather as well. It is now sleeting here so a good call to go today, besides it is tour of Flanders tomorrow ;)

Jamie

Untitled by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Im loving this thread!

Im currently buzzing round in my BMW X5 M50d, but now Ive retired im driving barely 800 miles a year. I can't justify owning a car at all any more, never mine a jet engined office block on wheels, so Im thinking of binning it whilemused car prices are buoyant and getting a cargo bike. Mrs Chopper still has her car for family days out to Tesco or the garden centre.

Im well used to using a bike for utility riding, getting myself where I want to be, and a cargo bike is just an extension of that. Maybe an e cargo bike, depending on my hip?

Im loving this thread!

Im currently buzzing round in my BMW X5 M50d, but now Ive retired im driving barely 800 miles a year. I can't justify owning a car at all any more, never mine a jet engined office block on wheels, so Im thinking of binning it whilemused car prices are buoyant and getting a cargo bike. Mrs Chopper still has her car for family days out to Tesco or the garden centre.

Im well used to using a bike for utility riding, getting myself where I want to be, and a cargo bike is just an extension of that. Maybe an e cargo bike, depending on my hip?
the bike shop i work in, we sell cargo bikes, most people who test them will go for the e version, more fun and more likely to get used because of that assistance. From my own experience i certainly wouldn't carry what i do and ride the distances i do on mine if it were non e assist!
cost is always a factor, my bergamont with bags and the extra battery is nearly £5,000, that about standard if you want a bosch or shimano equipped e bike (Which i'd recommend from a spares availibility point of view!) there are cheaper options but they definitely feel cheaper when ridden!
hope this rambling post helps!😄

Definitely worth trying a few types of bike out to see what you prefer. There are long-back (e.g. Kona Ute), drop-front (e.g. Bullitt) and those with the load area over the front wheel (e.g. the Omnium). If you have a bit of a gammy hip it's definitely worth trying out an e-cargo as I do have to haul-ass when I take mine out, particularly when loaded. With the box, a Hamax, lock, two kids and a picnic onboard, total weight is around 70kg!

Bike weight 25kg
Box 15kg
Kids (currently) 8kg + 18kg
Lock 1.3kg
Hamax Siesta 4.3kg
Picnic and toys ???kg

Lol, no wonder I get tired after a day out.

Here's mine, Royal mail escapee. I am not responsible for the questionable graphics and colour. That said 40kg of shopping is easy and a 50L bag of compost fits in the basket.

Attachments

• P1050876.JPG
    P1050876.JPG
    504.5 KB · Views: 10
  • P1050877.JPG
    P1050877.JPG
    520.5 KB · Views: 10
  • P1050881.JPG
    P1050881.JPG
    493.4 KB · Views: 9
  • P1050882.JPG
    P1050882.JPG