Dia-compe Cantilever Confusion

yakboy

Manitou Fan
I've just bought some Dia-Compe DC980 Canti's to restore and hopefully adorn the Litespeed. Bit confused though as the canti spring seems to be on the front of the cant's and not the rear. Am I being stupid or can anybody shed any light on this?
20211214_095522.jpg 20211214_095526.jpg

Yep, on the front is correct. The spring will be fixed by screwing down the black part with the normal mounting screws on the post. Tension is adjusted by turning the black part with a wrench.

Yep, on the front is correct. The spring will be fixed by screwing down the black part with the normal mounting screws on the post. Tension is adjusted by turning the black part with a wrench.
Thanks for that...never seen it before. Some of the black parts are broken but can get alloy one's from Germany. I was considering converting them to rear mounting if I can press the brass Bush through. Will see how things look when I've disassembled them

There are some others with that spring position: Avid Tri align, Skroll, Paul etc

166116.jpg

avid-tri-align_vintagemtbworkshop_01557914552d_blowup.jpg

Thanks for that...never seen it before. Some of the black parts are broken but can get alloy one's from Germany. I was considering converting them to rear mounting if I can press the brass Bush through. Will see how things look when I've disassembled them
Yeah same here with the broken parts. I was going to suggest the spares from mtb-kult.de, but you obviously found them already!

For the sake of info for others:

Yeah same here with the broken parts. I was going to suggest the spares from mtb-kult.de, but you obviously found them already!
I have, an excellent source of bits, I already have some on the bench for the SBike cantilever. Looks like they will need a little drilling out to make them fit this type of brake

Kona Curve cantilevers are configured this way as well.

I don't find them the easiest to set-up to be honest.

Yeah, Dia Compe 987's are the same, super easy to set up, just hold the complete arm on the post at about 45degrees to the rim then tighten the bolt down, you will then have the spring tension about bang on with no adjustments, if you do want a bit more or less then just loosen the bolt and move the whole arm inboard or outboard to you desired tension, tighten, job done.

Can you get bosses that allow these type of brakes to sit closer to the frame or is there always a gap?

I think there were a few frames/forks which were made for brakes like these. No idea though if there were replaceable bosses available. I was thinking of making some spacers, but decided it was to much hassle.

Back