Early disc brakes for XC bikes

renaldo

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Having just been browsing old photos and videos of late 90s XC race bikes, I noticed that disc brakes seem non-existant, although you could buy an XC bike with disc brakes from at least 1996 onwards.
Does anyone know why they weren't used at the top level? Did the early discs not work very well, not worth the extra weight (~200g extra if you believe catalogue weights), or something else?

For XC racing, I'd have definitely thought weight was an issue. Also IIRC, it was an evolving set of standards ie you'd sometimes have to buy a fork/hub with specific mounts for caliper/rotor.

Re:

I had a set of first gen Formulas in the mid 90s and noone else had discs.The only xc racer that had them was Jan Ostergaard on his Corratec-a bike that was way ahead of its time.My Formulas were good though a bit unreliable.In the wet and mud is where they really came into their own.The problem with early discs was the cost and the fact they werent really that good and mounting standard/hardware was fiddly,Nico Vouillioz still raced v brakes in preference over the early discs in the downhill.I`d say if v brakes hadnt been introduced at that time the disc brake would have taken off.

I`d say if v brakes hadnt been introduced at that time the disc brake would have taken off.
We've got 24",26",27.5" and 29" and gone from 3x to 2x to 1x and the gear cogs have went 36t,42,50t
Rigid fork to suspended, rigid frames to suspended.
Bars are now 800+mm wide.22,25,31.8,35mm bar thicknesses.

Not introduce discs ? :shock: are you new in mountain bike industry or something ? :LOL: :LOL:

dyna-ti":1xo5sxh0 said:
I`d say if v brakes hadnt been introduced at that time the disc brake would have taken off.
We've got 24",26",27.5" and 29" and gone from 3x to 2x to 1x and the gear cogs have went 36t,42,50t
Rigid fork to suspended, rigid frames to suspended.
Bars are now 800+mm wide.22,25,31.8,35mm bar thicknesses.

Not introduce discs ? :shock: are you new in mountain bike industry or something ? :LOL: :LOL:
You misunderstand me,discs wouldve taken off way sooner if the v brake wasnt introduced.I reckon everyone wouldve been on discs in the mid/late 90s if v brakes werent introduced.

Re:

Thanks for the insights, and good point regarding the timing of v brakes coming in. I've not had the pleasure of trying early discs but can imagine they might not be as good as those of today.

Re: Re:

renaldo":2z0i9het said:
Thanks for the insights, and good point regarding the timing of v brakes coming in. I've not had the pleasure of trying early discs but can imagine they might not be as good as those of today.

I dunno about not being as good? If anything they were better! I have a Grimeca.twin disc setup that is effectively a miniature version of their motorcycle brakes! I just need a twin disc fork to put them on... :roll:

Re: Re:

We_are_Stevo":3dvpv4pi said:
renaldo":3dvpv4pi said:

I dunno about not being as good? If anything they were better! I have a Grimeca.twin disc setup that is effectively a miniature version of their motorcycle brakes! I just need a twin disc fork to put them on... :roll:

Like this you mean ?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marzocchi-Z1 ... SwGsRfQ~Gi

I'd a chance for the 'other' Hope C2 caliper, the right hand side, but I duffed it for not wholly recognizing exactly what it was at the time.

Attachments

• Hope Disc Brakes (Custom).jpg
    Hope Disc Brakes (Custom).jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 1,159
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Not XC weenie stuff but I remember being impressed the first time i used a Gustav M on the front. Wonder how that compares to a modern xc disc brake?

Back