Edward Warner - Colliers Wood - some information?

clhristopher

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you could tell me more about this bike as i'm not familiar. I believe it was hand built local to me in Colliers Wood, not sure which year.

Also what should I do with it? It needs new wheels as the spokes need replacing and the seat.

Thank you in advance!

9tRjYaWh.jpg

zLlimqTh.jpg

I4BoMGMh.jpg

V7Kwg7ih.jpg

I recall that STD numbers were introduced in London in the mid-1960s. I was a student in London in 1967, and STD numbers were well established by then, and the old numbers only appeared where some small businesses were still using up some old stationary, etc. So the Edward Warner would probably have been built later than 1965-6 or so. A frame number may pin the date down better, assuming someone knows how to interpret it.

It does look a lot like a 60's frame, but late 60's. A few things on there aren't 60's though - those centre pull Weinmanns are a late 70's component, the cranks and chainring look way later though the pedals look like 60's alloy quills. Obviously the aero brake levers are much later too, and that stem looks like an 80's/90's job.

Well, I can tell you that there has been a bike shop at 23 Abbey Parade, Colliers Wood, SW19 for many, many years, and they built frames for a long time next door or very close by (24?) - I can also tell you that the old boy who runs it now is called Ted (Edward?) and started in the shop aged 15 working for his Dad as an apprentice, he is now well into his 80s. They are still sometimes open, and can be helpful and appreciate the chance to reminisce, might be a good idea to take the bike to them and see if they can confirm it was them, and when it was built - I imagine they have the records. They did still have some frame repair stuff and a stove for enameling in the back, I think they are mainly doing tune-ups and selling a few bits and bobs now. It's not far from me and I pop in when I can, they are losing a lot of Business to 'the internet' it would seem and I don't think the next generation are interested in taking it on - use your local bike shop people, or it won't be there.

Me again. Might be worth taking it to AW (except on a Thursday, they are inexplicably closed on a Thursday) for them to look anyway, if anyone will remember, it be them.

Re:

Edward Warner was my father. He had a cycle shop in Colliers Wood from 1961 until 1988. I lived above the shop at 24 High Street which was the last of 3 addresses. (210 High Street 1961-1965, 194 High Street 1965-1970, 24 High Street 1970-198:cool:

Dad built some frames but also badged other frames with his transfers some which were bought in from wholesalers, and others which were second hand frames which he repainted and made up into what he referred to as "reconditioned" bicycles. The bicycle that you have was probably a bought in frame as I don't remember him doing any lug detailing and I believe his frame building days were in the 1960s. I remember him repairing frames at 24 High Street but have no memories of him building frames at that address.

So, although there is a chance that my Dad built the frame, my best guess is that it was a generic frame wholesaled by firms such as Rutters, Edwardes or Southern Trading, painted but not badged, so that retailers such as my father could put their own name on them.

I do still have original transfers for this if you decide to renovate the frame. I'm not sure how well they will work as they are pressure fit rather than water slide, but you are welcome to have some.

Re:

I just found this discussion. Wasn't aware that Eddie ever made bikes under his own name but I had a Saturday job at a bike shop in Cheam in Surrey up until 1959 (when I left school) and worked with an Eddie Warner. He taught me to build bikes in a small workshop behind the shop.
I often rode home with him and we would stop off at his parents house in Sutton. His mother would insist that I ate with them.
Would love to know if this is the same Eddie?
Jeff

Re:

Edward Warner was my father. He had a cycle shop in Colliers Wood from 1961 until 1988. I lived above the shop at 24 High Street which was the last of 3 addresses. (210 High Street 1961-1965, 194 High Street 1965-1970, 24 High Street 1970-198:cool:

Dad built some frames but also badged other frames with his transfers some which were bought in from wholesalers, and others which were second hand frames which he repainted and made up into what he referred to as "reconditioned" bicycles. The bicycle that you have was probably a bought in frame as I don't remember him doing any lug detailing and I believe his frame building days were in the 1960s. I remember him repairing frames at 24 High Street but have no memories of him building frames at that address.

So, although there is a chance that my Dad built the frame, my best guess is that it was a generic frame wholesaled by firms such as Rutters, Edwardes or Southern Trading, painted but not badged, so that retailers such as my father could put their own name on them.

I do still have original transfers for this if you decide to renovate the frame. I'm not sure how well they will work as they are pressure fit rather than water slide, but you are welcome to have some.
I know this is a very old thread, but maybe its worth a chance.
I bought a short wheelbase frame off your dad in Colliers Wood back in the late 70's. Me racing on a tight budget & needing a bike for time trialing your dad provided me with a decent strong but light budget frame which I still have hanging in my garage today. I did have Mavic rims fitted along with campag hubs & aero spokes, titanium headset plus Shimano aero chainset, gears brakes etc done by various outlets such as Condor London, EG Bates Plaistow, & Bobby Moores brother in law & ex Rayleigh Mike Vickers. It served me very well in a number of Essex & Eastern Counties TT's. Not used since 1994 & looking frayed. Now too old & no longer able to ride the 'ol faithful' I really would like to restore to its former glory, so if you know of any Edward Warner tranfers still available.. I could provide photos of the bike if req'd.

Back