Fife and Tayside rides thread

Absolute carnage with trees down round here. Can’t see a major forest coming off unscathed. Don’t think riding narrow forest trails in the pitch black is a good idea. Wind dropped now, but I’ve another day without power to deal with, so the ride not really a priority, when I’m trying to keep a toddler warm.

Jeez, that's bad clubby, hope it's on soon. We used to get loads of power cuts in years gone by being out in countryside like you.
Glad of all our cooking gear and lights from camping more than a few times.

And Keith and Kenny are planning a ride roond Blairadam this afternoon. Might go.....
They're planning to meet at bottom carpark at 2.30pm. Lights will be required, not sure it's a good idea seeing Pitmedden was cancelled, same conditions apply, hmmm.

Looking on local Facebook groups it seems most of the local forests & car parks have been closed due to fallen trees & risk of further tree falls, I'll get out tomorrow but probably just local and coastal.
Screenshot_20211127-161804.jpg

Nah Jimo, you want an acetylene gas lamp, nice brass one with a reflector, helmet mounted. Wind can't blow out the flame which would be a bu###r at Pitmedden night riding in a storm😉

My old school lights are Light and Motion Arc with high power Halogen bulb and Nicad battery. It seems I can replace battery with LiPo version without compatability issues as Nicad is frowned upon these days as difficult to recycle. Might do that as I like the yellow light as opposed to LED ghostlight.

Well we went for a ride in Blairadam, Keith, Kenny and me, hunners of trees down all over woods. Hardly any mud though, everything was frozen.
The Chocslide was the only one we could get into at top of forest, blocked all the way along till there as that whole bit faces north.
Lots of trees down once you got on the trails, some expected others random. Harder to work out where to go in the dark.

Just as well Pitmedden was called off, with trails blocked like Blairadam think it would have a bit more of a pisser getting about.

Even my local woods which escaped the full blast of the storm look like they were visited by a giant industrial strimmer. Few trees down but loads of branches that would feed themselves into your bikes transmission🙄

Back