Wanted Find Shimano Deore XT M735 shifter replacement or perfect excuse to re-jig whole (modern) drivetrain?

calzango

Retro Newbie
Only gone and sheared my rear shifter off!
Loose shifters not engaging led me to overtighten screw.. Sad sight this morning.

Would appreciate any leads for a replacement Deore XT M735 rear shifter for my mostly stock early 90s Al Carter XT-Pro

Otherwise what's the experience of those opting for modernising their drivetrains - I see many now prefer single front cassette etc. Much trial and error with bottom bracket change out? E.g. correct clearance with cranks..

- Average amateur rider

Many cheers.

1000060070.jpg 1000060071.jpg

If some upgrading was wanted, lop the hangers off the STI and fit some SRT600 or STX hangers and you'll have decent easy shifting, yet still 7speed. Bonus points for being absolutely retro in doing so.

OK the models are a few years newer but a possible retro upgrade path at the time.

SRT500 would be an earlier period option. STX are just the best cheap RF+ low end shifter compared to any XT/XTR before them.

If some upgrading was wanted, lop the hangers off the STI and fit some SRT600 or STX hangers and you'll have decent easy shifting, yet still 7speed. Bonus points for being absolutely retro in doing so.

OK the models are a few years newer but a possible retro upgrade path at the time.

SRT500 would be an earlier period option. STX are just the best cheap RF+ low end shifter compared to any XT/XTR before them.
Very helpful, thank you

SL-MC38 or 41 I think, for the shifters or any newer than that 7speed oned

SRTs are GripShift by the way.

Of course modernise away if you really want. New wheels would be needed though.
So you may as well just by a new to you bike at that point.

Back