From a wrecked Peugeot to a refurbed Richards..

sparkybhp

Senior Retro Guru
This will be a thread for the rebuild of my 1982 Alan Richards which has a very spangle-y paint job.
IMG_3550.jpeg
I’ve built the bike up in a few different ways since I picked up the f+f awhile back. It’s currently sat in a box in the loft awaiting a suitable donor.. Cue this (sorry looking) Peugeot which I found at my local waste transfer/steel stockholders this morning:
IMG_4117.jpeg
It’s clearly had a rough time, the frame is bent in a few places and the front wheel has really had one - it’s the shape of a Pringle!
But the Shimano 600 group is mostly save-able. The headset top cup was split and the sti’s may be beyond repair from whatever crash it had, otherwise all ok with just scratches and general wear. I can live with that for what I paid for it..
IMG_4125.jpeg
Box of components awaiting cleaning and fettling, I have some nice Mavic MA rims to lace onto the hubs. Lots to do but it’s a good start. :)

Sadly the frame is way beyond repair, it’s dented on the down tube and seat stay and the rear stays are bowed too. It’s also very rusty, very rusty.
I managed to remove the forks despite a seized stem bolt by carefully sacrificing the stem. I think the forks are ok if anyone needs them? 👍

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out, and kudos for rescuing what you can from the donor bike. Those STIs look like they didn't take the brunt of the crash, so fingers crossed they'll be good.

Thanks so much for posting up that link @Jonny69, it inspired me to get the brifters stripped and investigate.
IMG_4130.jpeg
They really aren’t too bad when you get in to them, both were hella gunked up with old grease but the left hand one had a broken pawl:
IMG_4131.jpeg
To be fair that one was the worst cosmetically, the lever didn’t return fully home when at rest - it was sitting sort of at the 1 o’clock position. Fair to say that one suffered an impact at some point. Good news is that the right hand unit cleaned up and reassembled perfect and works a treat so I might only need one replacement if I can find one. 👍

Don’t know if it’ll be any help identifying that part number in case you can find another one, but it looks like Shimano still have exploded views of those shifters on their website:

Might be worth putting a post in the wanted section on here in case anyone has a scrap shifter you can pinch that part out.

Last edited:
Good advice, I actually managed to scoop another pair of these sti’s off eBay yesterday afternoon. They were listed as parts/not working and described as ‘not ratcheting’ - I’m hoping I can make one good one out of the parts I have. In the meantime I might strip down some of the spare shifter units I’ve got in my ‘knackered but might be useful for parts’ drawer and see if there’s a spare pawl I can use in the sti I have? You never know..

Back