Has anyone had an inner tube explode?

Check your rim tape.😉
EDIT: no, actually, looking at the position of the valve, looks like tube got caught under the tyre bead.
I was thinking this but surely the valve is the least likely place as the hole is centering the tube at that location making a punch virtually impossible

Did you pinch the tyre inwards and check between the outer rim wall and the tyre bead to see that the innertube was definitely all inside (and the whole way round, both sides)?

You need to do that, otherwise this will happen sometimes.

Better to partially inflate the innertube (but not too much) so that it stays round and prevents this from happening.

I did indeed!
I manually “Pinched” the tyre onto the bead all the way around, before inflating fully. Also part-inflated to begin with so no chance of pinching.

Anyway the shop will be sending another out

Edited

New regs for lorry tyres say they are meant to be inflated first time in a cage for seating. they sodding need it too.

There is a trend at present among climate protesters to drill a hole in the inside of truck tyres on hydrocarbon tankers and the likes. it scares the crap out of me as at some point one of those sidewalls is going to let go and splat them across the road in a nasty red streaked mess.

If you want to see what power is involved when a truck/tractor tyre explodes then youtube is the place for that. Everything from cage tests to some very lucky people. It is rare but some people do end up dead, or missing limbs, when it happens.

The only explosion i have had, with a bicycle tube/tyre, was a time trial tub that had about 140psi in it, back in the late 80's. Luckily it popped on my warm up so had time to change it for another. A bit of a shock and it was flippin' loud!

Back