Helmets/keeping your head warm in Winter.

I have a fleece version of the cotton roadie cap.
Can be worn as a cap but also has a fold down flap to cover your ears and back of neck
Very toastie 😃

A good recommendation from climbing and skiing is to keep your neck really warm - a major part of the blood supply goes to the brain and if the neck is exposed the head can feel cold.

When its sub zero I wear a beanie hat with an old helmet that has no foam pads in, works well. Just plain cold then a windstopper headband covering the tops of my ears. I'm pretty bald so I cant rely on any folicles for warmth.

Skull cap under helmet, neck warmer/snood, always a pair of sunglasses, clear ones if it’s dark. Nothing worse than getting a cold bit bothering you. More than once I’ve had to turn around and go back to fetch one of these items.

One of the worst bits of one of the rides I used to do was after a coffee stop before the final leg to home, putting back on the wet/sweaty cap and helmet. No one likes a cold sweaty helmet.

Being folically challenged (it's actually very fashionable these days you know) the cold stabs through the vents in my helmet like Freddy Kruger at Sabatier sale.

I avoid this by using silk skull caps, shorter ones for milder weather and longer ones that covers my ears for colder weather. Retrobike snood and 4 inches of beard deals with the lower half of the fizzog.

In winter I use my paramo velez jacket with a hood. The hood goes snugly under my helmet and it stops the sleet and rain from going down my neck. Covers the ears as well.If thats not enough then add a thermal balaclava.If thats not enough its maybe time for a cup of tea back home

Back