Help removing threaded headset

BCNBiker

Dirt Disciple
Morning all,
Having trouble removing the headset + fork. Flathead screwdriver on the retaining clip notch and tap with a rubber hammer? Should the retaining clip pop off or does it unscrew? The spacers and steerer were pretty gunked up. Not sure on best procedure here..
IMG_9053.jpg
Cheers and have a good weekend!

Its a aheadset is it not? A good whack on the top of the steerer tube with the front end lifted should eject the forks out the bottom of the frame 👍

Its a aheadset is it not? A good whack on the top of the steerer tube with the front end lifted should eject the forks out the bottom of the frame 👍

But occasionally you have to pry the plastic wedge up a little to get it to release if it's corroded together
20240503_105742.jpg
Put a small screwdriver blade into the gap arrowed

So i think you had it covered in the original post
🥳

Thanks both for your replies and help..will try to pry it up a bit and if not, whacking time. Cheers

Once in a while you get a big rusty head stack where the spacers need to come off with a blowtorch and moleys.
(A lot of our customers commute on salted roads, and maintenance is relatively rare. Hence my dislike of alloy nipples 🤣)
But the lateral mallet trick would deal with 99% of them - I'll position the mallet closer than the small screwdriver on the board👍

Once in a while you get a big rusty head stack where the spacers need to come off with a blowtorch and moleys.
(A lot of our customers commute on salted roads, and maintenance is relatively rare. Hence my dislike of alloy nipples 🤣)
But the lateral mallet trick would deal with 99% of them - I'll position the mallet closer than the small screwdriver on the board👍
That's why I learned it. 🤣 ex shop mech from the golden era when not everybody was a cytech and Jimmy was the bar you used to torque that one customers bb.

As for alloy nipples, there's a special place in hell from them.

Back