Judy XC Question

I've serviced and rebuilt many of these.

If your damper is plastic, I'd be surprised it has survived this long as the plastic tended to go a bit brittle over time, often the upper legs are all that's holding it in shape, so removing is often the cause of them leaking.

A hard body damper I'd the way to go.

Spring conversion will be fit and forget, iirc you might need to mod or come up with a way for the springs to seat properly.

Rather than the Judy Jax, you could look at the other style of elastomer fitting, a metal skewer. That way you just need washers between each elastomer.

How many of the washers do you need; I may have a bag full from a dead XC I stripped a while back. Can have a root through if helpful?

MK1 Judy on the left, MK2 on the right. The elastomer is about 10-12mm shorter than it should be, and the lower rod from the MK2 is slightly longer than the MK1.

Thanks for the offers gents, I'm going to try some replacement elastomers from @johndeverill and see how it feels.

I've got some 5wt fork oil from previous fork rebuilds, am I right in thinking remove the 2mm shaft inside the rod and fill through there?

The longer neutral shaft (low rod as you call it) means longer travel. Just make sure you put them back in the correct forks so the neutral shafts and damper shafts match up.

For those who want to know the ratio of shaft length to travel:
Shaft length = travel length
220mm = 80mm (96-97 DH & 97-98 XC LT & SL LT)
210mm = 75mm (95 DH)
???mm = 63mm (97-98 XC, SL, C)
198mm = 60mm (95-96 SL/FSX & 96 XC)
185mm = 50mm (95 XC)

The damper is not serviced through the adjuster. You need to push out one of the seals. Here is a service manual and our friend Greg from Butter Suspension did a great video as well.

Last edited:
Back